1st SMF Soap Challenge- July

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try another one later and do a better job. Practice makes perfect.

IMG_7092.JPG

IMG_7093.JPG

1)Newbie (I haven't combined many of these patterns, so this will be new to me too)

2) Saponista (Can't wait to get started )

3) Galaxy (Woot! Lots of cool swirls will come of this!)

4) not_ally (Lots of hair-pulling will come of this! Hopefully some cool swirls as well.)

5) Seawolfe (no idea what I'm doing, but will get soap batter in my hair and have fun))

6) Soapswirl (excited to try something new!)

7) Dixiedragon (got something in mind!)

8 ) Mintle (I am swirling on the inside already hehehe )

9) Lionprincess (is busy swearing mightily because her phone service stinks)

10) KristaY (went scouring the dollar store this morning for interesting tools!)

11) Sonya - as if I would miss it!!

12) Artisan Designs (by Kat) -(I have some plastic throw away things from work I am hoping to use)

13) doriettefarm (I'll give it a shot. I have something in mind after studying newbie's AL swap soap and youtube videos.)
14) kumudini ( I'm decided, finally!)

15) TVivian (I'll play! ... Even though I've never made a swirled soap in a slab mold!)

Edit: oops, I don't know what I just did there it didn't copy how I wanted it to

Last edited:
1)Newbie (I haven't combined many of these patterns, so this will be new to me too)

4) not_ally (Lots of hair-pulling will come of this! Hopefully some cool swirls as well.)

5) Seawolfe (no idea what I'm doing, but will get soap batter in my hair and have fun))

10) KristaY (went scouring the dollar store this morning for interesting tools!)

12) Artisan Designs (by Kat) -(I have some plastic throw away things from work I am hoping to use)

13) doriettefarm (I'll give it a shot. I have something in mind after studying newbie's AL swap soap and youtube videos.)

15) TVivian (I'll play! Even though I've never made a swirled soap in a slab mold before!)

Wow, great job on the videos Newbie! You know, whenever I see a video of someone swirling soap, there comes a point where I find myself yelling, "Stop!", because it looks like things are at that perfect point, and will just get muddy with more swirling. I have to say that I yelled at you to stop too, and I was pleasantly surprised at your results.....those are some beautiful swirls, and not muddy at all! I think I really like the diagonal swirl with the spiral on top of it. And what a neat idea to flip the soap over and make a batch on the flip side, you smarty pants, you. :smile: I think the challenge is a great idea, and love the idea of not having a "winner". It's a great way to practice new skills and show off what you learn. It's killing me not to be able to enter, but with just having retired, I'm in the middle of some long awaited renovations, and will have to wait until later challenges to join in, but I'll be watching like a hawk, and missing the fun!

Oooh! I'll just watch this time but this sounds like fun! I'm a plain soaper, just the simple stuff, but I'd like to try some new stuff eventually.

I'm glad the videos are helpful and not too painful to watch! Nav, I laughed at the idea of you standing up and yelling at my video'ed form which, like a machine, kept right on swirling. Thankfully, the soaps did come out okay but you never know where that line is of too much until after you crossed it, it seems.

Kisha, One more post and you're in!! Come on, be a lemming.

I admit I was super intimidated by this challenge at first. After watching the videos though I'm a little less freaked and a bit intrigued. I don't know if I will officially enter but might try it out on my own.

15) TVivian (I'll play! Even though I've never made a swirled soap in a slab mold before!)
16) Dillsandwitch ( Either the cold has buggered off or the drugs I got are working :D )

Okay here is my attempt at this. You think I could find a silicone cake pan anywhere today? Nope and I went to 7 different places too. Ended up using a cereal box. I started with a faux funnel pour into each of the 4 corners and then did a zigzag using my chopstick. I decided that wasn't really working well so i duct-taped some framing nails to some wood and then used the leapfrog pattern for the rest. I did it one way then turned the mould and went that way then turned again and went again. Hopefully my pics are clear enough and I didn't miss any steps.

http://imgur.com/a/SJ6cs#PokrfyY

Come join us kisha! If you are going to have a try anyway you may as well :)

Just wanted to add that no one here will judge you harshly. We are a friendly bunch and the purpose of this is to help everyone learn.

Last edited:
Okay here is my attempt at this. You think I could find a silicone cake pan anywhere today? Nope and I went to 7 different places too. Ended up using a cereal box. I started with a faux funnel pour into each of the 4 corners and then did a zigzag using my chopstick. I decided that wasn't really working well so i duct-taped some framing nails to some wood and then used the leapfrog pattern for the rest. I did it one way then turned the mould and went that way then turned again and went again. Hopefully my pics are clear enough and I didn't miss any steps.

http://imgur.com/a/SJ6cs#PokrfyY
I love it!

Well done with the mould improvisation dillandswitch! It's amazing the effect that just using two patterns can produce!

I use plastic storage boxes lined with freezer bags cut to size. The soap just pops out and the mould is nice and rigid.

Last edited:
Thanks. I cant wait till I can un-mould tomorrow and see how it all comes out. I'm thinking I may build a slab mould now. Lining it was easy as once I saw how to do it. Took less than a minute to do. only thing is my recipie was a little too slow moving and it could have been a bit thicker before i started swirling. still happy with it though. And it smells absolutely fantastic. I used passion-fruit and papaya scent :D

Nice. Thats something I wouldn't have thought to use. I still think I might go with building one for future endeavors. I should be able to get some decent enough wood from one of the rubbish piles at work next week. Chippies are so wasteful with things. Being in construction has its advantages at times :D. I made some awesome strawberry planters from offcuts of gutter last summer. So many in fact that I ended up chucking some of them out :S heheheh

Back