My latest "Ione swirl" attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I see this thread in the side bar I read LONE swirl, not Ione. So then I wonder "what is a lone swirl?" and click on it AGAIN. Every time! I feel stupid. hahaha!

And that IS some truly gorgeous soap, IrishLass! :)

I've done the same thing 3 times now I think. :)

Thank you! I had an excellent teacher for sure. :thumbup:

Yes- I think that seems to pretty much sum it up. Just this evening, I was studying my bars in depth to see how the order and way in which I poured each color affected the outcome, so that the next time I do this swirl I could go about it in a more 'planned' manner....or at least try my level best to do so. To explain- I'm thinking that if I dropped a green colored swirl into the base first, then next dropped a red colored swirl on top of it (or some other 'flower petal' color), I could hopefully create something that looks like pretty flowers with sepals and stems.

Temptress! You've just unwittingly piqued my curiosity to the point that I now desire deeply to do what I swore nothing on earth could ever make me do- i.e., re-re-bend a hanger. :lol: Actually, I won't re-re-bend what I've already re-bent- I think I'll just sacrifice a virgin wire hanger from my closet. lol

Yes- I've been able to do so as well using her technique with thicker batters, but 2 weeks ago I found out the hard way that there is a point of diminishing returns if the batter is really, really thick. I made an Ione-swirled soap scented with an Orange Blossom F/O that got a wee bit fussy on me. Usually that particular F/O behaves well for me, but it decided to be naughty that day for some reason, and my Ione swirl turned out to be a total bust- it came out as ugly as the one in this thread came out pretty. lol

No- it's not difficult at all. As a matter of fact, it's so easy to bevel straight with it that I believe a child could do it with their eyes closed. The thing that makes it so easy is the groove leading up to the blade. I just rest the edge of my soap in the groove (which acts as a stabilizing guide) and push it along towards the blade. Easy peasy.

IrishLass :)

Temptress??? Ha! Serves you right! I blame you and Susie for the multiple packs of liquid soap paste taking up precious space in the 'fridge!

Shoot - and now you've got me tempted right back with the description of how easy that beveling tool is.....(must remind myself I don't need a prissy beveler...) I love a beveled soap, but hate my planer/beveler.

I've always admired Ione's (and only Ione's) hanger swirls and wondered why people didn't try to emulate her more. Instead they started using fattened hangers and those cords from Amazon which give a much more manipulated look that I don't care for.

Oh, my goodness, that is gorgeous soap! I don't think that was an "attempt," I think you nailed it! Fabulous!

Every time I see this thread in the side bar I read LONE swirl, not Ione. So then I wonder "what is a lone swirl?" and click on it AGAIN. Every time! I feel stupid. hahaha!

I keep reading "lone," too, and then picturing this one little swirl, just trying to hang on, wisping up into the soap...

Temptress??? Ha! Serves you right! I blame you and Susie for the multiple packs of liquid soap paste taking up precious space in the 'fridge!

:mrgreen: (Yay! Mission accomplished! On to the next one!)

Shoot - and now you've got me tempted right back with the description of how easy that beveling tool is.....(must remind myself I don't need a prissy beveler...) I love a beveled soap, but hate my planer/beveler.

Which one do you have? Besides my 'prissy' beveller I also own the planer/beveller from Soap Making Resources. I love the planer part on it, but not so much the beveller part. Don't get me wrong- the beveller part works fine, but I like the rounded/contoured look of the bevels that my prissy one is able to turn out so much better.

I've always admired Ione's (and only Ione's) hanger swirls and wondered why people didn't try to emulate her more. Instead they started using fattened hangers and those cords from Amazon which give a much more manipulated look that I don't care for.

Quite possibly, there are many out there who just haven't come across her YouTube channel yet. It was like that for me. I pretty much stumbled upon it by 'accident' the summer of 2013 when looking at Google images of soap one night (take heed kids- that's how it starts, lol). The moment I laid eyes on a pic of one of her soaps, it was love at first sight. It may be my imagination, but I think I might have heard the sound of birds singing, and I would've sworn the sky opened up and beamed down rays of light while heavenly music played in the background. ;) Needless to say, I was swirl-smitten...and still am. lol Her swirls are pieces of beautiful artwork to me.

Guspuppy said:

And that IS some truly gorgeous soap, IrishLass!

LOL - Lone swirl.....I'm picturing myself attempting to swirl alone without someone holding the hanger for me. lol (In my best Steve Martin voice): I don't need you. I can do my swirling alone, I often do! (Instead of his quote "I don't need you, I can do this act alone- I often do!" from his Wild & Crazy Guy album)

HowieRoll said:
Oh, my goodness, that is gorgeous soap! I don't think that was an "attempt," I think you nailed it! Fabulous!

I keep reading "lone," too, and then picturing this one little swirl, just trying to hang on, wisping up into the soap...

Thank you! And LOL about the one little swirl just trying to hang on. That gave me a hearty giggle!

IL, I have this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/192296...all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=soap planer&ref=sr_gallery_7

From Plowboyzwoodshop. I can't get a good plane from it and practicing means wasting a lot of good soap. More importantly I suspect the metal blade causes dos. An entire batch of experimental (design, not ingredient) soap I planed developed massive dos in less than 6 weeks.

*sigh* I really really really like the prissy beveler. That bevel would really class up a lovely plain single color bar of soap. Sigh....where's my credit card? Oh wait, the DMV probably wants me to renew my car first...

IL, I have this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/192296...all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=soap planer&ref=sr_gallery_7

From Plowboyzwoodshop. I can't get a good plane from it and practicing means wasting a lot of good soap. More importantly I suspect the metal blade causes dos. An entire batch of experimental (design, not ingredient) soap I planed developed massive dos in less than 6 weeks.

*sigh* I really really really like the prissy beveler. That bevel would really class up a lovely plain single color bar of soap. Sigh....where's my credit card? Oh wait, the DMV probably wants me to renew my car first...

Stupid DMV.

Soapies Supplies has acrylic bevelers:
http://www.soapies-supplies.com/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1

You'd have to get 2 because one is a flat planer and one has the groove for beveling...but that still comes out to $50 for 2 vs $60. I love that you can just put the whole thing in hot water to get it clean. I had a friend make me a beveler but I just can't get the metal blade straight. It's either too low (meaning it barely makes contact with the bar), too high (meaning I'm gouging the soap vs planning off thin sheets) or crooked. I am super happy with my acrylic one.

Her spades are great too. You can find them at restaurant supply places as ice cream spades for a lower price, but this is convienent. I love them for my lard and my coconut oil.

I have this one too and have found it works best if the soap has cured (hardened) for awhile. I have decided that I would rather have an acrylic one though. Just waiting until I can justify it. Maybe when hubby orders his new fishing rod....

So, is a regular metal hanger soap safe?

Good question, Dixie. I was not 100% sure, so I took some regular Scotch Tape and covered over all the exposed metal that would be touching my batter. Works like a charm. :thumbup:

Soapies Supplies has acrylic bevelers:
http://www.soapies-supplies.com/shop...=search&page=1

You'd have to get 2 because one is a flat planer and one has the groove for beveling...

That is very interesting. From where I'm sitting, Soapie's beveller looks exactly like my acrylic dual planer/beveller from Soapmaking Resource, which can plane as well as bevel at 2 different depths. Mine has the 1/16" and 1/8" beveling grooves on it just like hers, and my blade that goes all the way across horizontally looks just like the blade on hers. Hmmm.... I could be wrong, but I'm betting that one might possibley be able to bevel and plane with her beveller.

Good question, Dixie. I was not 100% sure, so I took some regular Scotch Tape and covered over all the exposed metal that would be touching my batter. Works like a charm. :thumbup:

That is very interesting. From where I'm sitting, Soapie's beveller looks exactly like my acrylic dual planer/beveller from Soapmaking Resource, which can plane as well as bevel at 2 different depths. Mine has the 1/16" and 1/8" beveling grooves on it just like hers, and my blade that goes all the way across horizontally looks just like the blade on hers. Hmmm.... I could be wrong, but I'm betting that one might possibley be able to bevel and plane with her beveller.

I have her planer. It doesn't have the beveling grooves, but I can stand the soap on a corner and bevel that way.

This soap is gorgeous. And has inspired me. I've looked at the video a few times and wondered if I can do that. I picked up my coat from the dry cleaners yesterday on the way to work. And went back in and asked for a couple of hangers. I scored about four dozen hangers of various sizes. I'm not sure if they're aluminum (probably are) or some other metal. So, today after work, I'm going to take some of my 50% lye solution out side, put it in a dish and dip the hangers in to see what happens. This should be interesting. I'll let you know what the results are, if I don't kill myself that is. :problem:

Before commencing (or if you already commenced and are still alive and/or no worse for the wear), you could just do what I do and tightly wrap/wind tape around the metal so that none is exposed.

OR you could just try something like these cable ties: easy to clean and the come in lots of long lengths:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-15cm-assorted-colours-twister-ties_p4310668

They're too thick. I have a wire that I'm currently using and it works well. However, Ione uses a hanger, a real hanger that hasn't been bent out of shape. She also pours at a thin trace and uses the thin hanger in the triangular shape to do her designs. I've never used an actual hanger, so I want to try it. But I have no idea what kind of metal they are and if they're going to react. IL said she put regular "Scotch" tape around hers and it works out fine, but I'm more adventurous (uh, dangerous?) than that. I'm going to use a 50% lye solution on the hangers and see what happens. I know how soap batter reacts with non-stick cookware (bad idea) and an aluminum can (totally awesome! I so want to do that some day) but I have never actually watched/experienced lye and aluminum reacting together. This is more about me having (destructive) fun than it is about anything else. I've got an acre and a half, so I'll do it away from the house and make sure I've got a big bucket of water to pour the mess into.

Yeah I get that. Have fun.
A thin wire doesn't move much.
Wrapped wire sounds messy to clean up.
I think trace has a fair bit to do with it too.
Goodness knows what's in our "Wire" hangers. They didn't react to lye.

I don't get the not bending a coat hanger. I have to bend it to fit the mold and I cut off the top bit to stop it getting tangled in clothes and spatulas and being annoying. (Maybe I'm just too clumsy?) Each to their own though. Whatever works - stick to it.

Last edited:
Yep- those cables are too thick to get the look Ione is able to get with a thin hanger. I've tried thickened/fattened hangers and they just don't work as nicely to get those subtle, dainty, flowery swirls that Ione is famous for.

Theresa- you crack me up. lol Just do be careful, please. We like having you around.

Back