My handmade soap is making my skin feeling dry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castille needs a 12 month cure. I personally don't like castile. Find it's drying even at a year old but certainly much better than a young one.
I appreciate the reply.
Maybe im one of those people who will not like castile soap. Someone adviced me to put it on the shelf and forget about it. I think i will do that and come back after a year.

Are you okay with other hand made soaps in general? If not, it might be your water
Well i dont know yet. The castile is my first batch. Next Saturday the 2nd batch will be on its 4th week,

My castile recipe was 16.6 oz olive oil, 5 oz water and 2.1 oz lye. What do you think?

Well Castile does need a while to cure. But I do wonder if you also suffer from the hard water problem that many of us have
Needed to google hard water. Haha. I used distilled water which i bought from a gas station(apparently distilled is very rare in UAE). So i think the water im using is safe.
I will hide my castile for a year as one suggested and forget about it.

I meant the water that you then wash with when using the soap. If there are a lot of minerals in there, it can cause a squeak-y feeling which can feel like a dryness at first.[/QUOT
I meant the water that you then wash with when using the soap. If there are a lot of minerals in there, it can cause a squeak-y feeling which can feel like a dryness at first.
oh ok. I will continue observing with my other soap. Thanks for that info.

I calculated my recipe using soalcalc.net

The palm oil I used for my recipe is RBD palm olein. I wonder if it has the same properties as palm oil? At where I'm staying it is rather difficult for me to get pure palm oil for soap making :(

Sorry fuzz-ruzz, I supposed my skin is flaky and not peeling

I'm attaching how my skin condition looks like and one of the bar I'm using

View attachment 23400

View attachment 23401[/QUOTE
I calculated my recipe using soalcalc.net

The palm oil I used for my recipe is RBD palm olein. I wonder if it has the same properties as palm oil? At where I'm staying it is rather difficult for me to get pure palm oil for soap making :(

Sorry fuzz-ruzz, I supposed my skin is flaky and not peeling

I'm attaching how my skin condition looks like and one of the bar I'm using

View attachment 23400

View attachment 23401
i was looking at the bar of soap, it actually looks like it’s lye heavy in some areas - that it isn’t blended as well as it could be to distribute the lye a little better —- or is that my eyes getting old?

I was looking at the bar, it looks like it’s lye heavy in some areas - like the lye isn’t distributed evenly throughout the bar. Does anyone else see that or are my eyes just getting f old?

I was looking at the bar, it looks like it’s lye heavy in some areas - like the lye isn’t distributed evenly throughout the bar. Does anyone else see that or are my eyes just getting f old?

This person hasn’t been here since 2017. Not likely to get a response. Plus she zap tested it and no zap. Doesn’t look like lye to me.

Not really sure how a lye heavy soap would look other than hard and crumbly. Striations in solid colored soap are quite common, doesn't mean the lye is not distributed evenly. Plus the fact it is poured into liquid oils (usually) and the NaOH or KOH is a solution when used in soap making

HI im very new at making soap i have been using this receipe for awhile and it seems a little drying on the skin i use a 10 inch mold from nuture soaps and was wondering if someone could help me i use coconut oil 35 percent i think that may be the problem olive oil at 55 percent castor oil at 5 percent and shea butter at 5 percent when i put it in soap calc it looks great but like i said feels a little drying on the skin any suggestions to change receipe

Back