Rice Bran oil plus...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,

I am allergic to most oils but can use:
Canola, Cocoa Butter, Rice Bran Oil, Safflower Oil, Shea Butter and Sunflower Oil

I could possibly use Almond oil in small quantities.

I am trying to formulate a recipe. I know Shea can only be used 15%. Rice bran oil can be used 100% (but I am not sure what that soap would be like).

Can I substitute olive oil for Rice bran oil and Shea butter for coconut oil in goats milk soap?
• 22 oz (623 g) olive oil
• 8 oz (226 g) coconut oil
• 5 oz (141 g) chilled water
• 5 oz (141 g) canned goat’s milk
• 4.2 oz (119 g)

Are there any other good recipes I could use for these ingredients?

soapcalc.net has a lye calculator to play around with.

I just put in a 50/50 of cocoa butter and rice bran oil or 60/40
It wont have any cleansing or bubbly but would still be soap after you add lye.
I suppose it would be similar qualities as a castile or such.

Others will chime in and let you know what else you may be able to add.

If you just want to try it out, it may be a heavy moisturizing soap. which is not bad!

Just watch on the superfat, rice bran in that amount may possibly be prone to DOS

HO sunflower would be a good olive/rbo replacement or addition - some rbo and then some HO sunflower.

I think a high bubbly number is going to be hard to get, but some sugar/honey can help things along.

Are ALL of the other soaping oils out of the question, such as castor, Palm kern oil and the lovely Lard?

Yes I'm allergic to Palm, castor, avocado oils etc and honey and beeswax (I have a salicylate intolerance) I'm trying to steer clear of lard and tallow.

The soap calc doesn't tell you max percentages that people have worked out through trial and error.
Could someone please tell me the approximate max percentages for rice bran oil and Shea butter?

Last edited:
Yes I'm allergic to Palm, castor, avocado etc and honey and beeswax (I have a salicylate intolerance) I'm trying to steer clear of lard and tallow.

The soap calc doesn't tell you max percentages that people have worked out through trial and error.
Could someone please tell me the approximate max percentages for rice bran oil and Shea butter?

This should help

http://www.lovinsoap.com/oils-chart/

And this

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapmakingoils/tp/qualitiesofsoapmakingoils.htm

And this
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/

And this too LOL
http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/soap-making-oils.html#.VgVP5soo4v4

Last edited:
That's excellent. Thank you.
Only 12% max for rice bran oil. I can add others from that list which is great, if a little complicated! I just made Castile soap for my DH and it was so simple!

Those are guides and some have differing opinions on usage but they've proven to be reliable enough resources for me to use as a general limitations guide

This is a link to a very thorough pdf you can download on oil properties that might help also

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...UmGO_1fNH9OGDTeQ&sig2=h7Xu36V1Ks1LD504iGY_AA

Gigi
I see that the soap queen says rice bran oil can be used 100% but the other one says 12% max. I guess I will try a mixture of a few and see how I go.

I think having a limited number of choices available to me actually makes life easier from the point of view of soap making!
If I want to lash out to something different I will make something for my DH!

Thanks for the links they are great. Nothing's set in stone I guess : )

Penelope - people on here have such a wealth of experience and knowledge that if someone on here says the limit is X, I follow it, as I'm new to this as well. I hope the links help you in your research, but I'm with Gent, if you're allergic to so many oils, perhaps you should consider trying the lard. I was determined not to use it myself also, but I have to say, it makes a lovely soap that is very kind to my very sensitive skin. Just a thought and I hope your soapy adventures go well :)

I third Gigi and EG. Unless you are totally opposed to lard/tallow for religious reasons, I think you are cutting yourself off from making the best soap that you can. It is just harder to make a good veggie soap, and then when you add in the fact that you cannot use many of those oils, you are limiting yourself to a soap which will certainly clean you up, but will not be as good as you might hope for if you have a wider choice of oils.

Lard is probably the favorite soaping oil of soapers. For centuries, and for good reason.

The thing for me and my food intolerances is that I have to know what's in an oil or fat. Cold pressed low salicylate oils are fine. Chemically treated or heat treated are not.

Most lard etc is heat treated and hydrogenated - a definite no no for me.

It's difficult but I think I'm best sticking with the few cold pressed oils that I know are "safe" for me if I want to avoid side effects of naturally occurring salicylates. I am not idealogically opposed to animal fats.

The thing for me and my food intolerances is that I have to know what's in an oil or fat. Cold pressed low salicylate oils are fine. Chemically treated or heat treated are not.

It's difficult but I think I'm best sticking with the few cold pressed oils that I know are "safe" for me if I want to avoid side effects of naturally occurring salicylates. I am not idealogically opposed to animal fats.

That sucks, pj, I really am sorry. I guess try the options on hand and then maybe try to find a good source of home rendered lard/tallow or render it yourself? I wish it was easier:cry:

Last edited:

If you are not idealogically opposed to animal fats, then may I kindly suggest you make friends with your local butchers. You may have to go the long route(rendering it yourself) to get lard and tallow that is safe for you to use, but you will never regret it once you have tried the soap.

If you live anywhere near farm country, I would call the local co-op, and ask them for the name of a butcher that processes local pigs/beef. I could have gotten my suet for free had I done this.

Hi Penelope, I am allergic to Salicylic acid, and it is very serious for me, but still I use any oils and never developed the skin reaction to it. I think it is different when you take aspirin and wash you body with wash out soap. My skin got much better after I started to use my soaps, and lotions. On the top of Salicylic allergy I suffer with atopic dermatitis, which is almost no existent right now, maybe you could try DH soap at least on inside of your arm and see how you react:)) good luck with your soap :)

I hadn't thought about asking local butcher or friends who butcher. Hmmmm. Got me thinking here...

You can add Vit E or Rosemary Oleoresin Extract along with the rice bran oil to prevent DOS. I use Riceland rice bran oil in a lot of my soap along with a little Vit E. I haven't experienced any problem with DOS.

You can add Vit E or Rosemary Oleoresin Extract along with the rice bran oil to prevent DOS. I use Riceland rice bran oil in a lot of my soap along with a little Vit E. I haven't experienced any problem with DOS.

Lsg - how much vit e would you use ppo rice bran oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back