Basic Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melstan775

Reaction score
I'm out of shea and cocoa butter, so I need to make a soap without the benefit of soothing healing butters, oh no. ;-) I tried to make this one conditioning. I will be using half coconut milk for water and adding sugar to the water for bubbles. Do you think I need to keep the superfat up to 8% still or will 5% be enough? Any other suggestions?

basicsoaprecipe.jpg

I decided on 7.5 for this one. I had to redo the whole recipe though because 1. I ran out of Castor. 2. I ran out of coconut. 3. I forgot to discount the water. 4. I didn't realize I forgot to discount the water until I was at the store.

However, I just came back and bumped up my oils and adjusted for the amount of castor I already put in the bowl (because I forgot to buy more), and I have an equally desirable substitute, and for the cost of just 1.5 oz of lye, I have an extra pound of soap.

that was a pain in the butt. Somehow an hour got away from me when I went to the store. I just popped in and out, booo.... just now finished cleaning up. Not even sure if I have the energy to edit the make video.

Recipe also looks good for shampoo bar, doesn't it?

I believe you but I disagree. I'm a hairdresser and my one piece of advice about soap is this: oil based shampoos will make your hair oily. I am not a big fan of the idea of shampoo bars. I really do believe water based shampoos are better. This is my professional opinion, but I know a lot of people swear by shampoo bars. Maybe when this one cures I will give it a try as a shampoo.

I believe you but I disagree. I'm a hairdresser and my one piece of advice about soap is this: oil based shampoos will make your hair oily. I am not a big fan of the idea of shampoo bars. I really do believe water based shampoos are better. This is my professional opinion, but I know a lot of people swear by shampoo bars. Maybe when this one cures I will give it a try as a shampoo.

Since giving up wax, I mean Panteen, and switching to Genny's shampoo bar, my hair really feels great and no need to use a conditioner at all! It feels so nice to remove excess shower clutter :)

Latest posts

Back