How imperative is distilled water? I have a high end water filter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
We have a very very nice water filter system in the house and I'm thinking that's probably fine to use. It's got a softener, reverse osmosis filter, then another super fine filter for drinking water. I have always purchased distilled water to eliminate variables and possible problems. But I've seen where people are even using rain water that's not even filtered.

I'd like to avoid the cost (although very small) of water.

Thoughts?

Oceanwater!? That'd be a cool concept! I think rainwater is also pretty cool. I think I'll just stick with with our super filtered tap water though.

I'd think the chlorine and ammonia they add to the water might pose an issue. Or even fluoride (luckily not in our water supply at all) for that matter

Since you mention you had a reverse osmosis system, that's pretty much the same outcome as distilled, for all intents and purposes.

That's why I posted! Thanks. That saves me about a scent a bar. :) Goodness, is it really that inexpensive? That's why I never bothered trying to use our own water. It's just so cheap to buy it from the store.

No problem! :) I used to keep reef tanks, and in order to mix the marine salts I needed to start with either distilled or RO water - I couldn't have any existing particulates in the water so the mixed water would be perfectly balanced. I could never afford a RO system so I always had to use distilled.

The radiation that's now in our air and water (from Japan) kinda makes me nervous as well.

I use just tap water and on occasion sea water - I live a block and a half off the sea so it's easier to harvest.... :shh:

I am a little jealous that you have that kind of resource near you. I don't think "taken from the Bow river in downtown Calgary" has the same ring to it as "Pacific Ocean water." :???:

ROFL - perhaps not.

So you're in Calgary huh - I'll be there in March to visit with family and bring a new (to us) car home. We should get together while I'm there.

You know you could always use water out of the Bow or Elbow and call it Banff River Water.... :wink:

At one point I gathered up a bunch of large clam and oyster shells, cleaned them up real good then made soap in them. Looked really cool, but other than that - epic fail :thumbdown:

Latest posts

Back