My first DOS - and its real bad!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I made my first nearly castille bar. Its 90% EVOO 10% CO, and scented with Lavender EO.

I made this for the babies being born in my family.

It started out pure green, then over time (only a few weeks) white splotches apreared on the bars, and the top was completely covered in a thick white layer (which is not ash).
I just checked today and the white spots now have DOS in them. They have only been curing for 3 months. I have cured these exactly the same way as all my other bars, some of which are also high OO so I don't know what is going on. It seems to mostly be on the outside, and mostly on one side.

I have read that castilles are prone to DOS, but didnt think it would be an issue for me since I have never had it before.

Any ideas on what happened? perhaps it was the EVOO? or maybe I needed to turn the soap? I don't usually.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think there is a pretty recent thread about Lavender EO being a contributing factor to DOS...... sorry about your soaps!

Hmm...I have heard about Lavender. I can't believe how bad it is after 3 months! I'm going to hold onto them and see what happens over the next wee while (for experimental purposes).

I might try another batch then, without the lavender and see what happens

I don't even bother with castile anymore due to DOS.
It could possibly be the olive oil is not pure olive & the manufacturer subbed some for canola or another cheap oil. How would one ever know though.

DOS - dreaded orange spots.

From Millers Soap -
Hmmm... this is still a little bit mysterious, but generally is going to happen with batches that are overly superfatted or sometimes in conditions of high heat and humidity where the soaps are stored.

Thats the thing though Relle - it's not humid here, nor hot and they were stored exactly the same as all my other soaps in a huge well ventilated cupboard (I leave the door slightly open). No sunlight. They were superfatted at 6% which is lower than my usual 8%

It's got to be the Lavender. This started to go funny after only a few short weeks, which I wouldn't have thought possible from a 'stable' oil.

I got my EO from Natural Candle supply. None of them smelt that flash actually, I wonder about the quality. I brought Anise but haven't used it because it smells of slightly off oil.

:? How do you store your base oils and EO's?
I do live in a humid place (within a stone's throw from the sea) and have been testing my soaps by putting them in all kinds of places.
Even storing them in plastic bags.
Not a single case of DOS so far...

And the castille lavender bars are 3 years +

base oils are stored at the top of my curing cupboard. All EO and FO are stored in there also, but inside a chilli bin (I think thats a NZ word not sure what the rest of the world calls it lol)
The cupboard is about 3 metres wide with 2 x sliding doors - is perfect for storing and curing

This is my first case of DOS I'm pretty confident in the way I cure. But this is the first time I have used EVOO (was purchased by accident) and straight lavender

busymakinsoap! said:
base oils are stored at the top of my curing cupboard. All EO and FO are stored in there also, but inside a chilli bin (I think thats a NZ word not sure what the rest of the world calls it lol)
r

Australia- Esky
US- Cooler? the box thing you put beer & ice in

You crazy kiwis lol

busymakinsoap! said:
I got my EO from Natural Candle supply. None of them smelt that flash actually, I wonder about the quality. I bought Anise but haven't used it because it smells of slightly off oil.

Send NCS an email and see what they say. Ask them for the use by date on the oil. Thats the only thing I don't like that they don't have a use by date on them. Their's are the only oil that I have bought so far and I did have some DOS on earlier soaps but think that might have been somethng else other than oil probs.

Crafty Rose said:
[quote="busymakinsoap!":50vne8xx]base oils are stored at the top of my curing cupboard. All EO and FO are stored in there also, but inside a chilli bin (I think thats a NZ word not sure what the rest of the world calls it lol)
r

Australia- Esky
US- Cooler? the box thing you put beer & ice in

You crazy kiwis lol[/quote:50vne8xx]

Hehe!

Not a crazy kiwi, just logical - 'Chilly Bin' is a bin thats chilly lol

I wonder what it's called in the UK?

Are you a Kiwi who's crossed the ditch Crafty Rose? :D

Back