natural lavender color in cp soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgray

Reaction score
I have been quite disappointed in all the natural colorants I have used to try to get a lavender color in my cp soap. I have tried alkanet root (too dark or too gray) and rattenjot (too dark or blue).
Has anyone ever been able to get a lavender color with a natural product in cp soap and if so, what amount did you use to get it? Could beet root, sumac berries, or indigo work???
Thanks,
Christy

Hey Cgray - got you pm. Sorry took so long to get back to you. At this time, I am only doing natural colourants, or it goes without. With my lavendar I use lavendar buds to help distinguish the soap, of course eo as well. I think the colouring part of soaping will be a huge challenge for me because I don't want to add colourants, but I want colours that match up a bit with the soap. shrug, this will be the next thing I will really research and ask a lot of questions about myself. Good luck, if I hit on something or you do - let's keep each other posted. k

lavender

Thanks for getting back to me. I only want to use natural colors too. I wasn't too happy with alkanet root. I have been looking online for natural colors that work in cp soap. I saw red sandalwood might work. I am ordering some to try it out. Maybe that will turn out well??
I did just use some madder root in my lemongrass-cedar soap that turned out really well. It is kind of a cedar color that I really like!
I am also trying to get a nice green for my rosemary mint soap. I just made a batch and used ground sage. It has a nice green color now but its only been about a week. I hope it doesn't fade to a brown.
I'll let you know how the red sandalwood turns out. If you have any success with your soaps' colors, I would love to hear about them.
Have you ever used spirulina for a green color?? I might try that too. I hope it doesn't have a fishy smell like some kelp that I have used in the past :cry:
Thanks,
Christy

I will let you know if I have successes with colouring as I get to them. The only soap I have coloured so far was my coffee soaps. One I used strong brewed espresso and then used ground espresso beans - it came out awesome, then I did a coffee fragranced soap and divided the batch and used cocoa in 1/2 and swirled it in - it looked absolutely delicious. HOWEVER, I messed up the batch and I am having to rebatch and losing my swirls. :oops:

lavender soap in molds

I am going to try to send a couple pictures of my trial of lavender soaps with rattenjot and red sandalwood. The darker one is with rattenjot and the pinker one is with red sandalwood.
I am having problems with some white powder stuff on the bottoms of the soap but it is also starting to creep into the whole soap. I think it is ash but is is from getting too cool during the hardening process????
I don't usually have that problem with my long rectangular soap molds just the indivual ones. Any suggestions as to stop that from happening???
Thanks.

I have put a piece of freezer paper (shiny side on top of soap) and have had no ash. It peels right off when soap is cooled and ready to cut. Might want to try that. k

Oh, and I would love to see your pics. I just ordered cranberry and raspberry fiber to put in my soaps with like fos. I bought today Calendual petals and will try that in something soon. Trying to avoid using synthetic colourants. Although, I have to say, I have seen some absolutely beautiful coloured soaps and swirled soaps here to-die-for. I am not truly opposed to using colourants if I can't get to a place where I am happy with using natural materials. Looking forward to seeing your pics. k

My experience with lavender buds is that they turn black/brown and look like mouse turds. So I add a Tbsp of purple oxide powder to my ground buds before swirling them in.

I have used alkanet successfully but only once did it come out purple. The other times it was either grey or blue-black. It seems to depend on how much you add, and how long it sits in the oil. If my soap turns grey or black, I give it a 'purple name' and then people swear they see purple color in the soap! :lol:

My really black one I named "Purple Rain" and it sold like crazy.

Good luck in finding a natural purple. I think it's near impossible. Another thing you can do is sprinkle purple flowers atop the log after you pour.....anything to give an 'illusion of purple'.

The psychology of marketing fascinates!

Hi there!

I use only natural ingredients to color my soaps too. I've found that ultramarines work really well. Mix them into a couple tbsp of oil and then add to your master batch. And a little goes a looooong way! I ordered 2-4oz ultramarines from Magestic Mountain Sage and I think I'll be using them for YEARS!!

Kelly

Latest posts

Back