Strange reaction / body lotion expanding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleGuzelCo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new to these forums!

So.. I have been making lotions for about 4 years, but recently just changed one of my recipes by adding Dimethicone at 1%, ran it through my calculator and took out 1% of water phase. ( just a small test batch )

In my recipe I use Rice Milk (organic, same brand as always) . Never had a problem before..

I add Optiphen Plus, at 2% when finished. Everything was fine, so i bottled it up.

That was about 2 weeks ago, and today I went over to my storage shelf and saw that all the bottles had lotion leaking out the top and had expanded so much that the bottoms were round and falling over!! I opened one up carefully over my trash bin and it exploded everywhere, also had a bad smell to it? I did use a new fragrance...

I have no idea what happened.. The Rice Milk was fresh, and my ingredients were not expired? Could it be some kind of chemical reaction?
Any help would be appreciated! Going to change the recipe again in the meantime...

Honestly it sounds like the rice milk fermented, is there anything that would have inactivated the Optiphen?
Really? I've never had it happen before.. It did have a sort of "rotten eggs" sulfuric kind of smell to it when i opened the bottle of lotion..

I occasionally use Dimethicone in my lotion and never had a reaction like that. If your milk went bad in all the jars, your lotion got contaminated somewhere along the line.

What temperature was the Optiphen added? Also, did you check to see if there were any recent recalls for the rice milk? there have been quite of few major ones these last few months.

I have to admit I do not use any type of milks, but I always put mine in a new container and let it sit for at least 1 month before fragrancing and packaging. I would strongly guess something failed, or your temp was off when you added in your Optiphen Plus

"...Really? I've never had it happen before...."

Even thought it never happened before, that's no guarantee. It really does sound like fermentation -- gas production, bad smell, and all that. By adding rice milk to a lotion, I'm actually surprised you haven't had failures before this because the starches and sugars (cootie food) in rice milk really challenge a preservative. I stick with distilled water. Even so, I had a batch of lotion fail too despite using a preservative, a conservative recipe, and sanitary methods.

Frustrating, but that's just the way life goes sometimes -- Murphy's Law and all that. :think:

Thanks, I actually found the recipe for this rice milk lotion a long time ago and its been my best selling lotion!
I bring my Milk and distilled water to a boil for at least 10 minutes, then go about adding my oils and butters... Not sure if that makes any difference? Maybe i didn't boil it long enough this time..

What temperature was the Optiphen added? Also, did you check to see if there were any recent recalls for the rice milk? there have been quite of few major ones these last few months.
Thanks, maybe I should have checked that out :think: beforehand.. i never even thought of that..
added my Opti at about 70 degrees like normal

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back