Shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky

Reaction score
I've been buying shampoo bars and I love them but I want to add some ayurvedic stuff in the soap and since I live in Canada it's impossible to get the one I really want that already has henna and hibiscus so I thought I would try my hand at making one.

Since it's frigid cold here I can't open windows so I don't want to deal with lye in my poorly ventilated house I was wondering if I could use a melt and pour soap to make shampoo bars.

Please keep in mind I'm a total beginner and know very little about this stuff so please use easy to understand terms.

You can buy melt and pour shampoo base from brambleberry.com but I'm not sure if they ship to Canada.

You can buy melt and pour shampoo base from brambleberry.com but I'm not sure if they ship to Canada.
I know where to buy it here in Canada but I need to know if it would work well and if it would, how do I go about doing it?

You can buy rebatch [hand-milled] base and use it. I've done this before as it's the most like those shampoo bars you buy.

Ok, but do I need to add more than the herbs I wish to put in it? I've seen dozens of recipes that call for coconut oil plus a dozen other things.

I'm pretty much clueless about this process.

Thanks though.

Hi Binky, I've been experimenting MP shampoo bar lately(added a variety of additives) and I am very pleased with the result. I've bought WSP's three different types of MP bases and I like all three of them but my favorite was the DF coconut milk MP base.

1. Shave & Shampoo
2. Detergent Free Coconut Milk
3. Detergent Free Butter Milk

Please also check out old threads on MP shampoo bar:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=44779

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=28649

Do you add anything to it? The place where I will buy the M&P has a few kinds but the most promising sounding is the Natural Honey Melt & Pour Soap Base
Or the Natural ORGANIC Oil Clear Melt & Pour Soap Base.

What should I add to them since I'm not sure outside links are allowed the online shop is voyageur soap and candle. It's a Canadian store where I buy all my essential oils. The ones I mentioned are in the wholesale natural Melt and pour category.
clear1x1.gif

Binky,
Voyageur sells rebatch base. I prefer the rebatch base when making shampoo bars. M&P can be used successfully too--it's just a matter of preference. Adding herbs and your preferred essential oils is a good way to start. Voyageur also sells fragrance oils and essential oils. Essential oils are more expensive yet more natural.
Hope this helps!
All the best,
Lisa

Do you add anything to it? The place where I will buy the M&P has a few kinds but the most promising sounding is the Natural Honey Melt & Pour Soap Base
Or the Natural ORGANIC Oil Clear Melt & Pour Soap Base.

What should I add to them since I'm not sure outside links are allowed the online shop is voyageur soap and candle. It's a Canadian store where I buy all my essential oils. The ones I mentioned are in the wholesale natural Melt and pour category.
clear1x1.gif

Instead of adding dried herbs, I'd rather add herb-infused oil in soap, like rosemary, nettle, basil, marshmallow, horsetail, etc. These are the additives I've experimented with MP shampoo bars so far and they seem to work well on my dry, wavy & frizzy hair:

Argan oil(or herb-infused olive oil), silk powder, D-Panthenol, honey, herb-infused vinegar(organic apple cider), bentonite clay and EOs.

Instead of adding dried herbs, I'd rather add herb-infused oil in soap, like rosemary, nettle, basil, marshmallow, horsetail, etc. These are the additives I've experimented with MP shampoo bars so far and they seem to work well on my dry, wavy & frizzy hair:

Argan oil(or herb-infused olive oil), silk powder, D-Panthenol, honey, herb-infused vinegar(organic apple cider), bentonite clay and EOs.

Unfortunately oils wouldn't do the trick. I want to put henna, hibiscus, and alma for their ability to colour my hair. Other things the oil might work but I have very greasy hair and oil would make it look lank.

Unfortunately oils wouldn't do the trick. I want to put henna, hibiscus, and alma for their ability to colour my hair. Other things the oil might work but I have very greasy hair and oil would make it look lank.

How about adding clays, like Rhassoul, bentonite, or French green? Clays have known for their ability to absorb excess oils and toxins. You can buy henna, alma, shikakai and other Indian herbs at Amazon but they are much cheaper to buy at an Indian grocery.

How about adding clays, like Rhassoul, bentonite, or French green? Clays have known for their ability to absorb excess oils and toxins. You can buy henna, alma, shikakai and other Indian herbs at Amazon but they are much cheaper to buy at an Indian grocery.

The clay is a great idea. No Indian grocery where I live. But I get the henna I use to dye my hair at Sooq Canadian site. They have clays there as well as everything else I need aside from Fenugreek

Back