Other soap vendors at markets - good thing or bad thing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
I don't sell my soaps, and this is something I've been wondering about. I've noticed in a few threads that people seem dismayed when they aren't the only soap vendor, or when more soap vendors move in.

Now, I understand that when a consumer goes to a craft fair, its very likely that they have a budget, and may plan on only spending, say $10 on soap, and if there are more soap vendors, well then they might not spend that $10 at your booth. But more customers looking for soap means a better chance that the next one might be at your booth, right?

I know that many many vendors of all sorts of things have realized that conglomerating similar wares together tend to draw in people who are looking for such wares, so all the sellers benefit. We see this all the time with car lots, shopping malls, shoe shops, craft fairs and even farmers markets for fruit and veggies.

I sell 2D and 3D items in a virtual world, and have discovered this to be true as well. In fact my friends and I all sell similar things (but in very different styles) and we tend to run in pack. We have noticed an uptick in sales when we group all of our stuff together in the same place. A customer may come to my shop and want something that I don't make, but I can recommend my friends stuff that is right nearby. Next time my friend recommends my stuff. It all works out.

So I had assumed that having more soap vendors at a craft fair or farmers market (within a reasonable limit) would mean that more customers looking to buy soap or b&b products would come to the market and everyone benefits. Is that not true?

I think it can depend on whether or not the vendors compliment more or overlap more. Even two supermarkets near to each other can do well as they likely have their own brand which also draws people in.

But when one of the shops is winning more business by underhanded means (saying that their own brand cornflakes are moisturising and that the own brand tea bags can clear up acne) then I could see why the other would be put out by that.

Another point to consider is whether or not the other vendor is pricing to make a profit or to mitigate the losses from making soap - if it is the latter, then many people would buy a soap that costs less, it just makes sense.

Competition is healthy, but alas (or to some people, hooray!) the US market has little to no regulation and so there is nothing to stop the claims etc which can then make competition unhealthy and almost impossible to compete with. That said, a quality product, aftersales and a good head for business should win the day.

Should.

That is actually a really good point EG. There will always be unscrupulous sellers, and they make things worse for everyone. Even in my tiny little virtual business, we have learned to steer clear of the drama llamas and their crazy crazy ways. By setting ourselves apart from that it has actually helped our reputation.

But people can make insane claims about soap, not so much with textures and 3d designs.

That is actually a really good point EG. There will always be unscrupulous sellers, and they make things worse for everyone. Even in my tiny little virtual business, we have learned to steer clear of the drama llamas and their crazy crazy ways. By setting ourselves apart from that it has actually helped our reputation.

But people can make insane claims about soap, not so much with textures and 3d designs.

You mentioned your own best advice seawolfe :thumbup:. Stay away from the drama llamas and the gossipy negative Nancys. I never understood why someone would be more inclined to buy a procduct when discrediting everyone else's. You will absolutely do well in whatever you do.

I don't mind competition as long as there is truth in their selling. I just hate when folks start making claims or bad mouth others products. I do several shows where there are at least 3 of us. I also think as long as the venue can support that many vendors with customer base. I've done a couple shows where there were not enough customers for the number of same vendors they allowed. I then begin to think that they are just about how much they can make from the vendors. I do those shows once. I do try to check them out before applying when possible.

I do prefer to be the only soap booth at shows (who doesn't?), but have done several with at least one other soaper. It's frustrating with her because she DOES make claims like clears acne, heals eczema, and the caffeine in her coffee soap will GET RID of your cellulite! She also prices her bars so crazy low ($2-3) per bar that I have no idea how she actually makes any money. She probably doesn't. But since most of the show I do allow 2-3 of each type, it's just par for the course for now. I have still done very well at the shows that she is at, so I guess the "competition" isn't all bad. :)

Every market I do these days seem to have multiple soap vendors. My market I do going into my 5th year has brought in other soapmakers. They all advertise acne soap, herbal healing balms, etc. I simply will not advertise that way. If someone comes to my booth looking for "acne" soap I inform them I do not have any, but mention they may want try a neem soap, tomato soap etc that I make or I give them a sample of it. I do know the weeks the other vendors are not there my sales go back pretty much to normal. Normal this year not being great. Biggest problems is they are undercutting my price by $2 per bar. It makes a difference to most people soap is soap if it smells good they buy it. Some worry about ingredients but I find they are the minority

I've done a couple shows where there were not enough customers for the number of same vendors they allowed. I then begin to think that they are just about how much they can make from the vendors. I do those shows once. I do try to check them out before applying when possible.

Good advice.

She also prices her bars so crazy low ($2-3) per bar that I have no idea how she actually makes any money. She probably doesn't. But since most of the show I do allow 2-3 of each type, it's just par for the course for now. I have still done very well at the shows that she is at, so I guess the "competition" isn't all bad. :)

Sometimes there are long term strategies at play. Undercutting not to make a profit until the competition goes away, etc. It is really cutthroat in some areas. The best of luck to you the rest of this year.

I do know the weeks the other vendors are not there my sales go back pretty much to normal. Normal this year not being great. Biggest problems is they are undercutting my price by $2 per bar.

Your products and knowledge base tower over average competition. It's all patience and understanding, success to you.

Back