can you layer fresh cp on old cp?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
My mind is a dangerous place to be at night .. I should be asleep but I'm thinking about soap stuff.

I made a batch of cp in a round 12 cavity mold but it was my first time using that mold and I blubbed it a little. The soaps are not all the same thickness and the tops are weird and will need planed or something done to them if I want them to look "pretty".

Can I make a fresh batch of soap .. plop the old soap in the molds and then pour the fresh batch on top to fill them and make nicer tops??? or vice versa since the old soaps have one good side I'm thinking I could put a little fresh soap in the molds and plop the old soap on top .. good side up and voila .. soap is now good on both sides.

Will the old soap stick to the new? Will this just make a disastrous mess? I'm willing to experiment but just wondering if anyone else has tried it before.

How old are we talking about here? Like, Betty White old or just a couple of days old? I've layered CP soap that was a couple of weeks old with fresh CP and it was all good.

LOL .. definitely not BWO .. a few days. So it sounds like it should work. Maybe I'll play with that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

Go for it. I've used fresh soap to fill in holes (large center hole in the top 2 slices of pringles mold soap from my bf forgetting to tamp out air bubbles so the centers collapsed down) with an age difference of a couple weeks. I did it after watching the soap embroidery video from soaping 101. I first decided I wanted to paint some soap on top of embeds I had in some christmas soap to add green sprinkles, and then decided to fill in the soap holes. From what you describe its possible it will break apart, but might as well try. For me the stuff is holding up just fine with use, my concern was the center hole causing the bars to snap in half.

Added sprinkles: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Soap/20131208_132115_zps3bf47d91.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZuX7kVNgI[/ame]

Don't see why not.. similar to using older soap for imbeds and such. :)
Not sure if you'd need to spray the older one with alcohol if it's too dry though.

Well .. I should have left well enough alone .. aka WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING!!!

For some reason when I started this thread I had full intentions of making a new batch of soap and just pouring it over the old batch as they sat in their cavities. Then for some insane reason I thought, "I'll just shave off the odd bits and level them out so they're 1/2 old soap and 1/2 the new soap".

Sounds logical except then I had this pile of shavings and it's starting to add up. Since I used too much oil the first time, rather than end up with 12 nice, round bars I ended up with 20 or so Quasimodo bars. So I'm looking at the shavings and the 1/2 bars and I'm thinking (I really should stop that thinking business) .. I'm thinking that if I melt the shavings with some extra oil and add a different colour and a different scent I could layer the shreds on top and end up with 12 crazy cool bars.

BUUUUTTTT .. while the shreds were heating I decided it would be super cool to put a pencil line between the colours. ***OMG!! Stop .. please just stop already!!!*** I ended up with black EVERYWHERE. What a mess!!

.. and the shreds weren't melting completely and then I realized .. this batch was the cornmeal exfoliant batch. CRIPES .. extra oil and heat .. I've made bleeding cornbread!!

Nought to do now but keep going so I dump in the colour and fragrance and start kneading the dough, LOL! It's a strange shade of greenish/grey/blue with yellow blobs in it. I packed that on top of the old soap and pressed them down tight, tight.

But the brain dead zombie who thought of the pencil line DIDN'T think that might interfere with them sticking together AND THEY DIDN'T .. so now the whole mess is going in the oven to see if it will OP into solid soaps.

I am officially insane and it only took me 2 hours to clean up the mess I've made. Let's see what comes out of the oven shall we??

You must post pics. MUST! I don't care if they look like the spawn of the Corpse Bride and the Swamp Thing. I've gotta see this now. Probably end up with the coolest looking soap ever. Greenish/Greyish/Blue with yellow blobs :shock:. Some of my best soaps are from these experiences and yep that pencil line was a risky move.

Sure you can, i do it all the time. I have a lined box that all the extra drippings from all my batches get scraped into before the pots get washed.

Its betty white old.

What will happen when i take it out of the box and try and do something with it may be another story though...

I second the pics request...

Eeek, yea you definitely overthought this. You can have problems with old and fresh soap sticking together no matter what, people have embeds pop out for various reasons. I have no idea if rebatch will stick to old soap, thats not the same thing as a fresh batter.... And a pencil line can cause the soap to separate anyway if its too thick, so that was really tempting the soap gods to try and throw in!

Try to keep it simple next time ;) Put old soap in mold, pour new soap over. Or chop up old soap and mix in or layer in new batter.

Oh, yeah, pencil line was one thought too many! Plus the cornbread recipe! Thank you for the laugh, though. (And my 1st pencil line made the soap split right there, even doing it with fresh batter on both sides. I thought "I will use this mesh strainer to sprinkle the turmeric on. Oh crap, the turmeric went straight through the mesh and it splatted all in one spot! Well, I'd better do it that thickly everywhere...", so you can laugh at me too!)

PICTURES! PICTURES! :)

I thought "I will use this mesh strainer to sprinkle the turmeric on. Oh crap, the turmeric went straight through the mesh and it splatted all in one spot! Well, I'd better do it that thickly everywhere...", so you can laugh at me too!)

oh well heck .. I borrowed your strainer hahahaha .. BUT I knew it couldn't be thick and I was working with some solid soap, so rather than make it that thick everywhere I got out a paintbrush and tried to "move it". I have never seen so much black shyte EVERYWHERE. LOL!!

I took pics of the mess for posterity. There's a thread running around here that dared everyone to show off their soaping messes. I must be front runner for some sort of prize with this one! Too bad I didn't take any pics of my face. I'm quite sure I looked like a chimney sweep!

I'm with Derpina- I want to see pictures! This thread has given me a good chuckle.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I wasn't smart enough to quit while I was behind, LOL! With all my stuff and oils out I decided I might as well make some more soap and I've been itching to try an ombre with a new blue oxide I just bought.

Mixed everything up and poured the blue into the pot ............... DOAH!!!!! before I took out the white portion .. what a dummy. I decided on the spot I was just going to move on and try it again but I had no other molds available so I just dumped it all in a rubber maid container and will cut it up later for embeds of some sort. What a poor use of supplies.

Even when I mixed it all again and poured it properly I could tell it wasn't working the way I wanted. The base oils made the whole thing a bit on the yellow side so as the blues got lighter it started turning green and then I forgot to keep a little bit out for the final layer so my final layer is the icky greenish yellow colour of someone with motion sickness. Oh well, maybe it will look better once it's cured. If not I will have lots and lots of embeds, LOL!

I need to learn to stop when things are going pear shaped.

Latest posts

Back