what to do with scraps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cleaned up my bars with a vegetable peeler and didn't want to waste the scraps so I tried melting it down in the microwave and pressing the resulting sticky, goo mess into a small plastic container.
I wasn't sure how long to cook it for or what it should look like but I have doubts that it will stick together. It seems too lumpy.
If it doesn't work, I might try a double boiler. Its just a couple cups so I can practice and not worry about ruining a whole batch.

What do you guys do will all your trimmings and end pieces?

Sometimes I rebatch, but I don't really enjoy doing it, I just did some last week. I want to try making some cold process sugar scrubs. there are some people on this forum who have made them. I think they would be nicer than the ones made from pre-made melt & pour, and a great use for scraps.

I've used my scrapings and bits and put them in calico bags with Shea oil essential oil, oats, lavender buds or other flower heads for a bath bag. Just leave them float in your bath or use them as a scrub bag. Makes great presents.

It depends what I do with my scraps. When they are of my tried and true and I will be making the same batch then I grate them and add them to the oils right before the lye. I take my trusty blender and blend the soap scraps and oils till mostly smooth then add the lye.

Also another way.. I still grate them but I put them in a pump bottle filled to 1/4 with soap scraps, then fill the bottle 3/4 with aloe Vera. Top off with water. And I have my liquid face soap.

The aloe Vera doesn't evaporate as quickly as water. It works great.

I put mine in a jar to save for making laundry soap. Occasionally I may use some and toss into a soap batch to add texture and color, just the shreds not the chunks.

Confetti soap is fun. Or crazy soap is fun, take shreds or chunks of soap that isn't perfect, toss into your mold, then top off with a batch of fresh soap. Make sure you whack your mold a few times to remove air bubbles!

I put mine in a boilingbag, sometimes with a tsp water or oil, in just boiled water,
leave them in the water for about half an hour, and I can pres the melted soap in a little mold.
One hour later, you have a nice piece of soap

If you plan on moving and need to cover up the holes in your apt, soap scraps always come in handy. It will save you not having to use toothpaste, as it is much harder.

Back