Wooden Wicks - does this sound okay?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I have had very little success with candles. I have 50 lbs of soy wax I got in a co-op. I made a few candles, but when they were lit the wax built up and eventually drowned the wick.

My mom found a container at a thrift store that she wants a candle in, with wooden wicks. I found these:
http://www.naturesgardencandles.com...item/wood/-wooden-candle-wicks--10-count.html

The container is brass, I think. It is 3 inches deep, 6 inches in diameter. I am planning on lining it in aluminum foil so I can easily dump out the remains of the old candle and make a new one, assuming this works.

I'm going to follow these instructions, with some modifications.
http://www.naturesgardencandles.com...citsoy/-citronella-soy-wax-candle-recipe.html
-----------------------------------------
Step 1: Take your pot and place several inches of tap water into it. Next, place the pot on the stove top and set the heat to medium.

Step 2: Now, in your pouring pot weigh out 445 grams of NG 100% Soy Wax. Then, place the pouring pot into the pot on the stove. Finally, place your thermometer into the pouring pot.

Step 3: Warm the Jar: While your wax is melting, set your oven to the lowest setting possible. Next, place your apothecary jar on the cookie sheet then place the cookie sheet into the oven. Allow the jar to warm for 10-15 minutes, then remove. Also, plug in your hot glue gun now.

Step 4: As the wax melts, you will want to periodically check the temperature of the wax. Never let the temperature go higher than 200 degrees Fahrenheit. This may burn or discolor your wax. Remember to stir the wax occasionally as it is melting

Step 5: Once the wax is melted, remove the pouring pot from the stove. Turn off the heat. When the temperature of the wax reaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit, add fragrance.

Step 6: After the color and scent has been incorporated into the wax, place your thermometer back into the wax.

Step 7: Next, using your hot glue gun, place a small amount of glue onto the bottom of your wick tabs. Now, center and secure the wicks to your jar. You will be using (2) CD-10 wicks. (Since I am using the wooden wicks, I don't think I need to do this. The instructions with the wicks say to put them in after the pour.)

Step 8: Stick a warning label to the bottom of the candle jar.

Step 9: Check the temperature of the wax. Once it reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit, remove the thermometer and give it one final stir.

Step 10: Now, slowly pour the wax into the candle jar. Stop pouring where the candle jar changes shape. Finally, straighten your wicks.

Step 11: Allow your candle to fully set up. Once the candle has hardened, place the lid on top. Now, allow your candle to cure for a period of 24-48 hours.

When you are ready to light your candle, trim your wicks. Your Citronella Candle is now finished and ready. Enjoy!
-----------------------------------
Questions:
I plan on using a candle-safe Applejack & Peel. Can I add some ground cinnamon and clove to the wax?

How many wicks should I use? I was thinking 2, since the container is 6 inches across?

First I have never used the wood wicks....

However I often wick unusual sized containers for candles. For a 6-inch round I would use three or four regular wicks, all depending on what kind of wax I'm using. I would consider it like I needed to wick a three inch diameter candle, times 3-4 for the space each wick would be able to handle.

Your conundrum is the fact that you haven't tried this already, so you don't know what the wood wick can handle (size wise) on its own, so you are guessing. I would place three smaller wood wicks evenly in the candle and test that. Obviously your first try is going to be a test before you can be sure it works.

And for the cinnamon and clove in the wax, no. You never want to add anything that can clog your wick like spices or botanical material. The ONLY thing that goes in candle wax is approved candle dyes, approved candle fragrances and specialty formulated cotton wicks ......I can't count the number of times I have seen people say all you need is crayons and some "string" to make a candle. :Kitten Love:

I would not line the container with foil. Metal, pottery or glass candle containers can easily be cleaned out by setting them on a small folded towel (I use a wash cloth) in a pot of barely simmering water until the wax is melted and then carefully pouring out the leftover wax and wipe everything down with papertowels....and it should be good to go. That is how I clean out all my testing containers....it's a sucky day and I tend to put it off.....but it has to be done!! :(

Thanks for the info!

BTW, we made the crayon candles in Girl Scouts - but I think the main purpose was to keep us occupied for a while, not to actually make burnable candles! We'd melt the paraffin on the grill or campfire (we made candles on camping trips), add some crayons for color, then we'd each get a piece of string - not even a wick, but a string. Then we'd stand in line. When it was our turn, we'd dip our string once, then go to the back of the line. I think the purpose of this was so our leaders could sit down for a while without us bothering them.

That's probably also why we waterproofed literally HUNDREDS of matches with fingernail polish over the years too. :lol:

Metal, pottery or glass candle containers can easily be cleaned out by setting them on a small folded towel (I use a wash cloth) in a pot of barely simmering water until the wax is melted and then carefully pouring out the leftover wax and wipe everything down with papertowels

What is the purpose of the wash cloth? When I make lipbalm, I put a small plate in my pot of water, then put the pot on the stove, then put the container with the lip balm ingredients in it on the plate, then turn on the stove. I do that to keep the lip balm container (a glass measuring cup) from directly touching the hot pot. Does the wash cloth serve the same purpose?

Last edited:
"...Does the wash cloth serve the same purpose?..."

Yep -- you nailed it! The metal rings that you put onto canning jars work too.

Back