lets see your labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to do a custom soap for 5 of our our friends' wives as a Christmas gift. Here's the first. This is a goat's milk/oatmeal/honey soap I made as the first of these for a friend with skin sensitivity. Each custom soap will be named and labeled for the recipient.

photo 2.JPG

Your brand is going to be Mockingbird Massage? How is that going to work with soap? Or lip balm? I am not selling any products, but as a consumer, this would confuse me.

If you were to name it Mockingbird Products or some such, it would include all of your products. Massage is just too limiting.

I study remedial massage therapy, and the idea is to have my own handmade retail side of things (I do soaps, diffusers, balms, massage blends) in my own massage practice to compliment the practical side of business.
I won't be looking to sell outside of my shop once it's established, so the name stamped on all products will show exactly where it can be purchased. Since a lot of the soaps I sell at the moment are used as gifts, it also helps to spread recognition of the brand and it's helping to increase client numbers already.

A lot of massage therapists only work part time, and if I don't have the clientele to work full time to begin with, I can spend a day or two a week concentrating on making the retail side of things, which may help to keep profits up in quiet times.

It is a little confusing at the moment, but I'm confident it will all work out.

Last edited:
I use recycled paper cigar bands (colors vary, but mostly earth tones) held on by stickers I send out for. Then I print out my ingredient labels on cardstock and sew (yes, hand sew every label...what was I thinking?!) them onto the back. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1413911768.339964.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1413911783.218095.jpg

I don't sell, so my labels are still a work in progress, but they let me know whats what, and people know what I've given them. I just doodle my labels up in Gimp, I can get 4 per sheet of brown Kraft paper for my soaps cut from a loaf, and 7 per sheet on portrait for my 2x2x1 inch soaps from my slab mold.

The printing is just plain black, I faked in the background to look kind of like Kraft paper. I keep trying to remember to take picks of my soaps with labels on, but the lights always gone by the time I get home and I am lazy :)

Grubby paws labels.jpg

Green & Blue Piggy.jpg

Hello,I'm new to the forums and the whole body butter/lotion, lip balm, bath bomb, scrub, black soap, etc making. Label making comes easy to me but is time consuming because I am anal about fonts and placement = appearance. Here are few labels if I have created over the past few weeks and I'm still creating as I type this. Looking for feedback.. Thank you

butter.jpg

butter1.jpg

DSC_2151.jpg

DSC_0894.jpg

multi butter.jpg

Actually I have had people ask if my products were gluten free believe it or not. One point I will make. True Castile soap is 100% olive oil despite what Dr. Bronner's says. Although I have talked to him and he tells me that back when his father started the company they used it to mean that this was surfactant and animal fat free soaps. He knows that we, the purists won't accept anything except olive oil for Castile and suggests we call ours traditional castile to differentiate between the two.

I don't sell, so my labels are still a work in progress, but they let me know whats what, and people know what I've given them. I just doodle my labels up in Gimp, I can get 4 per sheet of brown Kraft paper for my soaps cut from a loaf, and 7 per sheet on portrait for my 2x2x1 inch soaps from my slab mold.

The printing is just plain black, I faked in the background to look kind of like Kraft paper. I keep trying to remember to take picks of my soaps with labels on, but the lights always gone by the time I get home and I am lazy :)

These look great. Love the dating in the side. I wonder at what point an uneducated customer might look at the date and think they are too old? Maybe change it to a "sell by" date. Also, if you are open to constructive criticism, I'd leave the words like "oils used" and "add-ins" off. The are unnecessary and will made for a cleaner label.

Actually I have had people ask if my products were gluten free believe it or not.

Alas, I do believe it! Did you ask them if they are planning on eating it?

One point I will make. True Castile soap is 100% olive oil despite what Dr. Bronner's says. Although I have talked to him and he tells me that back when his father started the company they used it to mean that this was surfactant and animal fat free soaps. He knows that we, the purists won't accept anything except olive oil for Castile and suggests we call ours traditional castile to differentiate between the two.

Or he actually uses the right term, maybe? :Kitten Love:

Packaging has to look particularly good if I plan on giving it as a gift. I'm a bit of a design snob, so if you've got comic sans or a bunch of mismatched design elements, I'm going to think you have bad taste and your product will be bad. I *know* that isn't always the case...

As a consumer - I totally agree!!!

Bad spelling is another thing that irks me.

It's not fair - but a lot of people are like that. If I see mismatched things, I think "Really, you couldn't just move that over a bit? What else did you just accept as is?"

And when I see Comic Sans, I think "Of all the thousands of fonts available....."

And in marketing: Think of all the big beauty companies out there...They have a theme that ties all of their products together, so that you can spot a mile away which products belong to which brand.

"Oh, that's a neutrogena product. Oh that's a Pantene product." Etc..

I dont know why these are such bad quality :( I lost the original ones too, ALL my labels and logo and everything. grrrr. But some of my products, the old labels. The stamp on the 2nd picture is my new logo. The current ones are being worked on but are kind of similar. I'm pretty good in graphic design luckily so I was able to do all those myself. Ive designed some for other soapers and candle makers too. :)

11tc13b.jpg

4fvk1k.jpg

Last edited:
Back