ACK! NDA's new $100 minimum order policy!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paillo

Reaction score
My favorite supplier, sob sob, going to a minimum order policy of $100 or $20 small order fee for anything under $100 as of Feb 4. I'd seen the policy change mentioned, but just read it. This really hurts :thumbdown:

That's lousy. I am sure it's financial (economies of scale, blah blah) but in my opinion that's a poor business practice and makes it seem that you don't value your small customers.

Agreed on the poor practice. I could see a $50.00 minimum, as most probably order around that threshold to make the shipping charges worthwhile (I do, anyway), but $100.00 is deliberately weeding out the small clients. Must be cutbacks in their pick-and-pack operations because the $20.00 penalty is ridiculous. Fingers crossed that Saffire Blue won't follow suit.

I could see a $50.00 minimum,

I understand the economics of streamlining order fulfillment so I can accept a minimum order amount. I think $50 would be acceptable as CaraCara mentioned. But $100 or a $20 "administration" fee? I think she's right in stating it's a way to weed out small customers.

Money is tight and I don't have a lot of disposable income for supplies. I guess I'd better place an order before Feb. 3.

I wrote them to express my concern about small customers and to suggest a $50 minimum order with a maybe $7 smaller order fee. I think it's just too huge a jump for a superlative company that's always been great about customer service. I, too, understand the economics of scale and administration, but this just seems like a really bad business idea. Hopefully I'll get a response...

Oh snap! I didn't see that either. I like their products, but their shipping to me is so slow, so I don't order much from them either. Maybe I'll send them a little note as well.

ETA: just sent them a note. They'll probably say that I usually order over $100, but that's not the point.

Last edited:
Most of my ordering has been via NDA, however, I've switched to Canwax or Saffire Blue for my recent orders. Better shipping costs and more interesting fragrance oil scents, plus better selection of additives & botanicals. It would be rare for me to make an order of less than $100, however, that being said, I don't want to be penalized if I do. BTW, Canwax has really good turnaround time. Saffire Blue is slower so I have to keep that in mind when I'm running low on something.

I quite like Voyageur. Between them & NDA I'm mostly covered. Since my orders are usually in the area of $100 I'm okay and if I'm short on the order then I just wait until I'm low on something else to make up the hundred bucks.

They just effectively turned away any new customers. I have never used NDA but let's be honest, most soapers are not big operations and if they have never tried their products they aren't going to order $100 of merchandise to "sample" their quality especially with so many other suppliers online and just a mouse click away.

Kitten Love??? They are my main supplier because they seem to be cheaper for the stuff I get. I've tried Voyageur and I don't really like their products, and they are more expensive. This sucks- I hope they get a lot of complaints and change their mind. Shipping is $20 minimum so if I order $90 of stuff like my last order I'd really be penalized.

It's madness - they should be able to send 1 product to a customer and make a profit on it. Cost of the product plus post and packaging takes care of the time involved. The economy of scale means that you can reduce the packing costs (maybe not the shipping, but certainly the packing costs) for the larger orders.

Doing it this way is just really a slap in the face for smaller customers.

Those people who sell soap might well be able to back me up - you price so that you make a profit on 1 soap, packed and sent out. If someone orders more, great stuff! If it's just 1 soap, you don't lose money on it.

So why are they doing this? :crazy:

So why are they doing this? :crazy:

Getting greedy? Really makes me mad. So many suppliers are beginning to do this. Maybe I should try it - minimum order of 10 bars of soap? Crazy.

I think their shipping is already high, too. Placed an order yesterday and it won't ship until the 24th of January. Please - will find other sources for their products.

The problem with Voyageur is the time it takes to ship across country, not their products. I took a look yesterday and will order a couple of their fragrance bundles. The problem with NDA's new policy, as it applies to Canada, is we don't have the plethora of suppliers that are available to the U.S. That is precisely why I order fragrance/essential oils from U.S. suppliers when we're going to visit. NDA'S new policy really limits new soapers.

Voyageur is actually the fastest for me... But I don't like their lip balm flavours at all, and they aren't the cheapest for oils. I do like their micas though. And they have packaging that NDA doesn't have.

I actually have to use three different suppliers to get all my stuff. Which sucks because of shipping costs.

Back