A bubble bar question.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damies

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place as this is my first post here. (moved)

Anyway I made some creamsicle bubble bars and the white section is visibly browning and I guess that would be due to the vanilla content of the fragrance. My question is can I use vanilla color stabilizer in a bubble bar?

I am far from being a bubble bar expert, but my first thought is that you will probably have to adjust for the extra liquid by reducing some of the liquid in your recipe. It could probably be done but might take a bit of fiddling around to get right. And it may discolor down the road. Maybe it would be better to divide your dough in half and scent separately with vanilla and something else to make a two color bubble bar.

I have used stabilizer with success at a 1:1 ration (stabilizer:fragrance) BUT mine are used within a couple of months at the most.

I know vanilla containing scents discolor to varying levels of brown, I was just surprised it happened in the bubble bar, I guess my brain was thinking "It's not -soap- so it'll be fine" which was silly of me.

And I know it isn't a permanent fix, using vanilla stabilizer, but I really don't like how my creamsicle bubble bars now have "cinnamon swirls" and would like to avoid it in the future even if only for a while, I'd hope they get used before they discolor but there really isn't a guarantee there.

In the future I may just scent the orange section (which is not as vibrant as it was originally but not as obviously discolored) to try and avoid the white being so drastically not what I wanted.

My concern with using the vanilla stabilizer in a bubble bar was if it is safe in bubble bars like it is in soap.

Thank you all for your input!

As far as safety goes, I know WSP sells vanilla stabilizer for lotion as well as for CP and M&P. Bubble bars are probably more like a B&B product than a soap, so that might be something to look into. Or try to find a non discoloring vanilla FO you like. They do exist.

Latest posts

Back