Pine Tar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
I've been interested in making PT soap for a while. I've done some research, read some of the threads here on the forum. What I did find was that a lot of people said Bickmore PT had a burned rubber smell.

What kind of PT do the experienced PT soapers use? And can anyone direct me to a good recipe? I would appreciate any help at all! Thanks!

It was probably me who started the "burned rubber" comment. That's what Bickmore smells like to me, especially at first. After cure and when used, it's less burned rubber and more smoky campfire.

I wrote an article about pine tar soap with tips and some recipe ideas, for what it's worth. See: https://classicbells.com/soap/pineTarSoap.html

Here's another recipe idea --
Pine tar ... 10.0%
Coconut Oil ... 15.0%
Sunflower high oleic ... 20.0% (can sub olive oil, HO safflower, or any other high-oleic oil. You could include avocado (5-10% maybe?) for part of this)
Lard ... 55.0% (can sub palm for part or all of the lard. Could possibly sub tallow for up to half of the lard)

Back