What do you think of my bath bomb recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christinafko

Reaction score
I was having a lot of trouble with my bombs reacting too soon, so I altered my recipe (taking water out completely) and then I thought I got great bombs with my new recipe but they were crumbling to sand-like consistency, so I added shea butter (melted) and some clay, but my bombs are coming out soft still. They're drying fine but are soft. A firm but still gentle squeeze could break them. So I have added some cream of tartar and coconut oil now too and am waiting to see how these bombs come out. I have a friend that I'm supposed to be giving some bombs to, but every time I think I'm making a good batch they end up softer than they originally were after a few days (it's very humid here in the spring, maybe that's why??) or my other batches were too dry?? Anyway, this is my newest recipe, can anyone look at it and see if they think these will come out harder? I have to shop the bombs to my friend and I want them to survive shipping!

1/2c baking soda
1/4c citric acid
1/5 cup epsom salt
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp clay
1 tsp cream of tartar

1 tbsp sweet almond oil
1 tbsp melted shea butter
1 tbsp melted coconut oil

And then I add a little bit of essential oils (10-20 drops usually, I don't prefer mine scented super strong) and then some liquid colorants that is used in soap making which is usually less than 1/4 tsp in amount.

Think this recipe will be harder and less crumbly/dry? My last batch didn't have the coconut oil but had the same amounts of the other oils so it might have been too dry, adding to the crumble. And the last batch also didn't have cream of tartar either. I'm really hoping this newest batch doesn't dry crumbly or turn soft after a few days!

Thanks. I like to use a little corn starch in mine just bc I like how it makes the water feel soft, but if his batch doesn't work maybe I'll try without it and the epsom salt.

Dont use epsom salts either as it can limit who can use them but I do also use cocoa butter.

Thanks everyone! My bath bombs from yesterday came out really well and hard, but I still ordered cocoa butter and want to change my recipe to using that instead of coconut oil and take out the epsom salt too! :)

Latest posts

Back