First CP Soap Recipe...Feedback?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuarinoSoaps

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been playing around with soapcalc and I think I have come up with my first recipe. I am going to try to post it below. Any suggestions?

Avocado Oil 12.9%
Coconut Oil, fractionated 22.58%
Olive Oil pomace 19.35%
Palm Oil 25.81%
Shea Butter 12.9%
Castor Oil 6.45%

Soap Bar Quality Suggested Range Your Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 46
Cleansing 12 - 22 21
Conditioning 44 - 69 51
Bubbly 14 - 46 27
Creamy 16 - 48 30
Iodine 41 - 70 54
INS 136 - 165 165

Hello and Welcome, Fractionated Coconut Oil usually isn't used in Soap. I don't use Shea in Soap because it's expensive and tends to cuts lather and some say it tends to be drying in larger amounts.
Do you have regular Coconut Oil? HTH
Roy

I would use regular coconut oil instead of fractionated. I usually only use 5% Castor oil. Shea butter can be used up to 10% and palm oil not more than 25% accoriding to Anne Marei Faiola. Your soap may actually turn out harder than estimated because SoapCalc is not on the money with olive oil and hardness.

I wouldn't use Fractionated Coconut but regular coconut 76 or 92. I use Castor up to 8% without any trouble. I would drop the coconut down too as your cleansing is fairly high. I generally keep my cleansing between 8 and 14. I also keep my Palm between 15-20 percent. I also like my conditioning up around 55-60 or so. You can always give your recipe a try and see how you like it. Also, what superfat are you using?

Someone had told me that the original recipe I had wasn';t good, and it was hers...then I tried a different one of hers, and yet again someone told me she uses too much coconut oil...?

[Edited] Oh, also, Shea butter for me is $10 per kilo, I actually don't mind that price, especially since i love shea.

Last edited:
I would use regular coconut oil instead of fractionated. I usually only use 5% Castor oil. Shea butter can be used up to 10% and palm oil not more than 25% accoriding to Anne Marei Faiola. Your soap may actually turn out harder than estimated because SoapCalc is not on the money with olive oil and hardness.

My latest recipe has palm oil at 30%. What kind of problems might that high percentage cause?

I'd get rid of the funny percents. that will be very difficult to do. Example with your caster oil at 6.54% on a 32 ounce batch that would be 2.0928 ounces. Or a 950 gram batch that would be 62.13 grams. I find it best to stick with whole numbers, like 5%. My recommendation would be to use fewer oils in the first batch as well.

Michael

Back