SALT BARS - Need assistance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt bars get very hard very fast. Most people (including me) unmold and cut while the bars are still warm, before they have had time to completely set up. Or, use individual cavity silicone molds, those are much easier!

The crumbly parts will smooth out a bit and look better with a good cure.

There is a very small window of time where its perfect to cut salt bars. For me it's at 2.5 hrs. At 2 hours the bars are still too soft and at 3 they are to hard and crumble when I cut. Many people recommend single cavity molds so you don't have to cut them at all. I haven't found a mold my hubby likes, and the salt bars are for him...so I just set a timer and cut.

I always make my salt bars in individual moulds, so I don't have to worry about the 'window of time' for cutting them. They unmould easily whenever you have time and you have lovely salt bars ready to let cure.

The ones on the second link are the ones I use. I keep buying more and I have six of these molds now! They work great and soaps are a nice size - smaller than standard but this is OK because the salt makes them heavier or more dense than standard soap. They also last a really long time even at that size.

I haven't bought individual molds yet either (hope to soon). I make salt bars in a log mold. After pouring, I start checking them at the one hour point and then every 15 minutes after that. I've had different unmold/cut times every time I've made them! Not sure why - probably just my consistently inconsistent soaping skills. Anyway, the gelling starts at the center and spreads out, so as soon as the corners feel firm to the touch I unmold and cut.

Latest posts

Back