Kaolin and bentonite clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adema

Reaction score
I found a ceramic firm here that sells kaolin and bentonite clay, I am wondering , is it the similar or same as cosmetic grade?, it is clearly labeled as kaolin and bentonite.

Kveðja
María

Ahhh ok, so the grade matters.. They have kaolin 50 that is a better grade and she did mention that it was used in masks but I will have to investigate this further.
Thank you for the reply.

Kveðja
María

Kaolin = clay. It is a mineral with aluminum and silica and some other things that I don't exactly remember right now. Bentonite is dirty kaolin :) Essentially it is kaolin with impurities in it. Depending on the particular impurity (Potassium, Sodium, Calcium etc..) will determine the name and attributes such as color. Particle size and other issues may be at play also.

If it is labeled as kaolin there may be legal restrictions on what percentage of impurities it contains, but that may be relative to the governing body concerned. For example if you are buying kaolin to produce bricks whomever determines the necessities for purity may not be concerned with the same things someone who was trying to produce Kaopectate was concerned with. That's why there are food grade designations on chemicals and other such things. I am sure there is a FDA or D&C grade and designation for kaolin and its cousins, though I haven't seen it. Perhaps someone can post a link.

That said, has anyone ever simply mined local clay from a stream or dug it up in their yard? What kind of process did you go though to refine it to be used in any of your preparations? I remember a lot of a very light blue clay growing up, we used to make little pots and stuff out of it, but no one would ever fire it for us (afraid what it might do to their kiln maybe?)

Absinthe said:
That said, has anyone ever simply mined local clay from a stream or dug it up in their yard?
as kids my baby sis and me used to swim in and drink from these really clean streams in the south of france, filled with ice water. We'd come back as 'mud monsters' :lol:

Dag dagmar, hoe es het met je? (If you respond with a whole paragraph I will have to bow my head in shame, as this is about all the dutch I know )

Mud monsters I love it!

There are people that live near all sorts of bodies of water that have claims to medicinal qualities. I have heard of people swearing by drinking muddy water from the Mississippi. Of course, it is not without merit since they do use kaolin in Kaopectate right? :)

Back