Does anyone have this BB soap slicer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibct1969

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a brambleberry gift certificate and I was thinking of purchasing their soap slicer with it. I'm over trying to cut my soap with a knife. I always have drag marks even though I wipe the knife before each cut.

Does anyone have this?

https://www.brambleberry.com/Wire-Soap-Slicer-P6326.aspx

If not, opinions are welcome because I can either do that or spend it on FOs or EOs. I just don't want to 'waste' the certificate...

Thoughts?

I'd like to get the Bud one https://www.etsy.com/listing/191983081/adjustable-single-wire-soap-cutter-for but I just don't have the cash right now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. :)

The BB slicer is not meant to cut a loaf into slices to make bars. It's meant to split a loaf of soap horizontally into thinner slabs (see the 5th photo in the BB description for what I mean). Then you cut the bars from the slabs with some other tool -- a knife, kitchen scraper, wire cutter, etc. You ~could~ use a slicer like this to cut bars, but you'd have to slide the loaf through the wire while the loaf was standing on its shortest end. It will be tricky to get an even, smooth cut because a loaf standing on end isn't too stable.

Honestly, I'd save up the extra $40 - $50 and buy the Bud single wire cutter when you have the cash. You're going to be happier in the long run if your point in having a cutter is to cut bars, not slabs. I have this single-wire cutter and like it a lot. It gives me the flexibility to adjust the width of cut and as a hobby soaper, I really don't feel a great need to have a multi-wire cutter so I can cut 10 bars at one go.

But I have to tell you -- you can get drag marks no matter what device you use to cut soap. In fact, a blade is less likely than a wire cutter to make drag marks. I'm puzzled why you are getting objectionable marks -- maybe share pics and a description of the process you use?

Oooohhh. I see. Ok. Good to know. Thanks DeeAnna.

I cut the soap after I take it out of the mold (usually after about 24 hours). It's sort of soft but not sticky. Should I wait longer?

I usually cut my soap within 24 hours too, but my soap at that point is usually waxy and firm. It reminds me of young cheddar cheese. I do not know if that is similar to your soap or not -- everyone's soap is different. If yours is softer than mine -- maybe more like Brie cheese -- you might want to wait a bit longer to cut. The time or two that my soap has been softer, the quality of the cut hasn't been as nice.

Last edited:
I have the BB cutter. It seemed like a good idea but the wire broke the first time I used it. I ended up replacing the wire with wires from NS. I didn't even bother to contact BB since it was a defect in the material they used in the first place. Also, as Deanna said, it isn't meant for vertical cuts. I have the Bud single bar cutter and I've been using it for over a year and haven't had a problem with it. I highly recommend it. I know I'll eventually buy the Bud horizontal cutter too.

Glad I asked

I have the BB cutter. It seemed like a good idea but the wire broke the first time I used it. I ended up replacing the wire with wires from NS. I didn't even bother to contact BB since it was a defect in the material they used in the first place. Also, as Deanna said, it isn't meant for vertical cuts. I have the Bud single bar cutter and I've been using it for over a year and haven't had a problem with it. I highly recommend it. I know I'll eventually buy the Bud horizontal cutter too.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get something else with my gift certificate :)

Back