(Yet another) bath bomb questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

So, as we now have a bath in the new house, I think I'll go down the rabbit hole of bath bombs (the Admirable Lady was very excited to have something else to enjoy and give away!). Some points and information, then the questions:

As a basis, this recipe from the crafty monkey:
120 grams baking soda
60 grams citric acid
13 grams oil of choice
4 grams fragrance oil

I am looking at going with a touch of emulsifier in there. Would also look at using 95% alcohol as I would look to make more at one time and keep them stored for a bit (from my readings, it can help with storing them). I am thinking cocoa butter as the oil.

Questions:

Overall, what are your thoughts (I know, I can ask 10 people and get 11 answers!)

Do I just spray the alcohol and go by feel?

Hello all

So, as we now have a bath in the new house, I think I'll go down the rabbit hole of bath bombs (the Admirable Lady was very excited to have something else to enjoy and give away!). Some points and information, then the questions:

As a basis, this recipe from the crafty monkey:
120 grams baking soda
60 grams citric acid
13 grams oil of choice
4 grams fragrance oil

I am looking at going with a touch of emulsifier in there. Would also look at using 95% alcohol as I would look to make more at one time and keep them stored for a bit (from my readings, it can help with storing them). I am thinking cocoa butter as the oil.

Questions:

Overall, what are your thoughts (I know, I can ask 10 people and get 11 answers!)

Do I just spray the alcohol and go by feel?

I'm one that uses Cocoa Butter and like it a lot. I also use PS80. And, alcohol. I just get it all mixed together and if it still feels a bit dry I spritz it with alcohol until it the texture I want. I'm not a pro by any means and sometimes struggle with them.

Alcohol does perform well, and I use it if I added to little oil (which is 90% of the time). However, I've found that overtime, the bath bombs with rubbing alcohol discolors juuuust a bit. It started out darker than the 100% oil to begin with, but over time it became lighter-toned. If you use a lot of oil and water-insoluble colorants, definitely add some polysorbate 80 to help bind it with the water.

Never used cocoa butter before but I've made chocolate with it and it was great. Expensive oil around here, but sounds great - looking at its benefits.

Oh its a rabbit hole indeed!

We have played with recipes for ages and finally got it to work using cocoa butter with PS20/80 (cant remember for the life of me which one it is!). Sometimes I need witchazel and sometimes I dont dependant on weather I think!

As you said you will get loads of different answers from loads of different people so its the usual thing trial and error! On the upside, your wife gets to try lots of 'failed' bombs whilst you work out what works - has kept my mum and friends very happy for months!

I like cocoa butter because it adds solidity to the bomb. I also like making half rounds using a melamine bowl as a mold because its sosoSO much easier (bam bam bam on the cookie sheet done).
I haven't tried an emulsifier because I didnt have any, but it sounds like a good idea. I have also had good luck using hubbys big kitchen aid going so I can dribbling things in while it mixes well - but it gets dusty and messy :p

I use a light oil, PS80, and slsa.
Use PS80 at an amount equal to your fragrance oil. And if you do use slsa, remember to account for the added dry ingredient by increasing the amount of oil you use or by a few more spritzes of alcohol. Also, I use Kaolin at 2% of my total recipe in my bath bombs to help them harden up.
Have fun, there are hundreds of different recipes out there. Don't get frustrated if you have to tweak them to find the recipe that works best for you.

Back