Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kobrien22

Reaction score
Hey there!

I've been making bath bombs for months now, and loads of them. I have a good recipe but today I got some SLSA and was really excited to try it but I find it decreases the effect of the citric acid?

They foam well but don't fizz well, and they sink and only create beautiful colors if i hold them on top.

My recipe is pretty much 2 cups baking soda, 1 cup epsom, 1 cup cornstarch and 1 cup citric acid, so today I added .5 cup SLSA. Should I be adding less?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!!!

I'm a bath bomb newbie, so take this with a grain of salt. I never tried Epsom salt in bath bomb, but in my research too much Epsom salt will decrease fizz. I could be wrong, so hope some bath bomb guru will chime in. ;)

ETA: if you want crazy fizz, use less corn starch, and add more citric acid.

I don't use Epsom salts. Here is my go-to recipe for bath bombs. This recipe is from Kayla Fioravanti's book, DIY Kitchen Chemistry: Simple Homemade Bath & Body Projects.

1 cup Citric Acid (7.4 ounces)
2 cups Sodium Bicarbonate (17.3 ounces)
¼ cup of Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (1.6 ounces)
¼ cup Cream of Tartar (1.4 ounces)
½ cup melted Deodorized Cocoa Butter (3.2 ounces)
1 tsp FO or EO (0.12 ounces)

This recipe works well for me.

They don't float at first, but come to the surface as they fizz. No, coconut oil does not get as hard as coco butter.

Latest posts

Back