My crochet poncho..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5468.jpg
IMG_5472.jpg

If you can crochet, you'd find continental knitting much easier to learn. The mechanics of the stitch is very similar.

I knit and crochet and have taught both in the past.

I will try to learn myself as I learn to crochet. I like knitting cardigan or jacket.

Thank you, No she didn’t teach me because it’s so awkward how I hold the knitting needles.

Do you hold your hook like a pen/pencil? If so, then yes, it is awkward to adjust to needles. Knittinghelp.com has some wonderful short videos showing different techniques. I knit using the Combined Continental so my purl stitches sit differently on the needle.

First time I used alpaca yarn because they’re expensive. I use merino before and it’s good too. I am allergic to hair and some wool but alpaca and merino without problems while mohair it’s given me a rash.
Mohair is hair from an angora goat. You may have better luck with "kid mohair", which is the first sheering of a baby goat. The hair is much finer and less scratchy, or you may just be allergic to that breed of goat. I can't work with angora (from angora rabbits). I found that out the hard way after getting a pair of beautiful angora rabbits. I could spin their fur off their backs while they were sitting in my lap. After a few minutes though, I'd have hives & trouble breathing.

Your work is beautiful!

Do you hold your hook like a pen/pencil? If so, then yes, it is awkward to adjust to needles. Knittinghelp.com has some wonderful short videos showing different techniques. I knit using the Combined Continental so my purl stitches sit differently on the needle.

Mohair is hair from an angora goat. You may have better luck with "kid mohair", which is the first sheering of a baby goat. The hair is much finer and less scratchy, or you may just be allergic to that breed of goat. I can't work with angora (from angora rabbits). I found that out the hard way after getting a pair of beautiful angora rabbits. I could spin their fur off their backs while they were sitting in my lap. After a few minutes though, I'd have hives & trouble breathing.

Your work is beautiful!

Yes I am holding like a pen, I tried to hold in other way but it’s very awkward and harder.

Yes I will try the kid mohair. Thank you [emoji4]

What a beautiful piece! I love knitting and crocheting, but can't seem to find the time these days..... have lots of yarn to use up. You've inspired me to take it up again :)

Thank you. I want to put back again the crochet or knitting, many people don’t do it anymore, It’s therapeutic and enjoyable.

It's something my hands can't seem to handle anymore. I used to knit, crochet, tat, embroider, needlepoint, cross stitch, quilt, a tiny bit of rug making, as well as sewing by hand and machine. I even did a bit of beading, but not much.

Now, my hands can best handle kneading dough (for bread making) and making soap. I used to paint, but haven't in a while so not sure how my hands would hold up to it these days. I think they'd be okay as long as I took breaks to prevent cramping. But gripping things for extended periods is something my hands can no longer manage. It even cramps my style when I play video games on my XBox and I hate that!

So I enjoy looking at other's handiwork, very much.

It's something my hands can't seem to handle anymore. I used to knit, crochet, tat, embroider, needlepoint, cross stitch, quilt, a tiny bit of rug making, as well as sewing by hand and machine. I even did a bit of beading, but not much.

Now, my hands can best handle kneading dough (for bread making) and making soap. I used to paint, but haven't in a while so not sure how my hands would hold up to it these days. I think they'd be okay as long as I took breaks to prevent cramping. But gripping things for extended periods is something my hands can no longer manage. It even cramps my style when I play video games on my XBox and I hate that!

So I enjoy looking at other's handiwork, very much.

Wow that’s a lot of crafting.

Back