How to make ugly re-batch less ugly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
My my rebatched turned out a medium brown. It has pretty colored bits in it, but the main color is brown. I'm re-rebatching now in the crockpot. Any suggestions to make it less ugly? I added too much coconut milk during the rematch so I do not want to add much water at all. Some of the bars I rebatched b/c they felt greasy, so I don't want to add a lot of extra oil.

My ideas: Some liquid colorant. Maybe blue? I like blue.
Coffee grounds for scrubby texture and to make the brown look less like poo.
Ground spices to make the brown look flecked and interesting.

You could turn them into charcoal bars or I would do as you mentioned and add in some spices, vanilla beans or coffee grounds. I find brown rebatch just does not re-color well and even liquid colorant does not work well.

I'm with Carolyn- adding in some coffee grounds or vanilla beans will be much better than adding in a colorant. Brown in soap is pretty hard to overcome. From what I understand (someone please correct me if I am wrong), adding blue to brown will only give you a different shade of brown. Working with the brown by adding texture to it is a much better way to go, if you ask me.

IrshLass :)

Or you could add texture to part of it, pour, and add black to the rest and pour that. Make a layered soap, for more interest. If your rebatches are like mine, the brown is murky and very opaque and if that's the case, I would just color it black.

Latest posts

Back