1st timer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightingirish

Reaction score
Ok, so this batch had a couple of firsts for me. It was my first time adding goats milk. It was also my first time using any colorant, which means it was also my first attempt at a swirl. I used an apple FO. When I cut it, it had a funky odor, like maybe almost an ammonia odor. Is that from the interaction between the goats milk and FO? Will that go away? Anyway, here is the pic. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1418658803.057014.jpg
PS This is my third batch of soap.

Lovely soap! And yes, the info in the above posts is correct, and this also happens with beer soap.....funky smell, then it fades.

Thanks everyone! Ok , so I went and looked at the bars after an hour or so, now the white has a red tint to it. It's not all the bars, but most. What would cause this? The colorant is not supposed to bleed. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1418668275.626628.jpg

I have 3 guesses: Its either a chemical reaction between the NaOH and the milk proteins (which is also what gave you the ammonia smell), or with one of the fats - lard sometimes does that pinky thing to me, or the red colorant is bleeding. But it doesn't look like color bleeding to me.

It just seems strange that it happened after being exposed to air and it wasn't every bar, just most.

Very pretty looking soap!

the ammonia smell comes from the GM reacting with the lye. It will go away. As far as the discoloration, did you check with the supplier to see if that particular fo discolors? I've not had that happen with any straight up apple fo's but something like an apple streusel fo or caramel apple fo containing vanilla in the blend would discolor. I'm thinking because it is discoloring with exposure to the air after the soap was cut that this would be the case.

Well, it is allegedly a straight apple FO, but who knows, maybe vanilla was added. I will check on that. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back