Log splitter/soap cutter question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SozoArtisanSoaps

Reaction score
I am getting a log splitter, 12 lb soap mold, and a soap cutter from For Crafts Sakes. My question is that I can cut the 12 lb mold into 3 or 4 loaves. What is the normal size for each individual bar. (I normally make soaps in tray molds that are already scored) I am just trying to figure out if I want 3 loaves cut or 4. I am not savvy in what a typical loaf bar of soap measures...Thanks!

Are you talking weight or measurements? I try cutting for bars that are about 4.5 oz. as they will lose water as they cure. I just measured one of my cured bars and the measurements were approx. 3.25" x 2.5" x 1.25".

My bars average about 5 oz before cure. After cure they weigh-in anywhere from 4.25-4.75oz depending on the recipe and the ambient conditions such as temperature, humidity, air flow, etc. a 12lb mold and splitter would be really cool but I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy one. I make all my molds myself out of wood since I have a wood shop in the garage. I've been drawing up designs for various soap cutters as I plan to make one if I can ever find the free time, lol! Let us know how the new toys work out for you :)

So yeah, I checked out the link you posted to the slab mold you bought and now I want to build one. My fiancée is rolling her eyes as I type this, lol!

I have a 12 lb mold my husband made based on that same mold and I get 4 logs. He also made my log cutter and multi bar wire cutter. Cured they weigh about 5 oz. as I cut them 1.25 instead of 1 inch.

Back