Laser printer for labels...right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap_rat

Reaction score
I think (for selling) I need to laser print the labels that might smudge, particularly lib balm and other oily things? And I know that inkjet soap labels can run in moist environments.

But I've just been reading that laser doesn't look that great (at least in terms of printing brochures and photos) so I'm hoping y'all can let me know for sure that laser is the way to go for labels? And if you don't mind showing me your laser-printed labels, especially, color, that would be great! (just a link to the right page, even)

Thank you!

Yes, laser all the way! Don't worry about photo quality etc. I bet you won't even notice a difference. Plus laser is cheaper in the long run. I run a stationery business full time and we use laser for everything. Here's a look at some of my labels using a 7 yr old beast of a laser machine :)

gp1.jpg

snickerdoodle-cpsoap1.jpg

bitemepolish2.jpg

My OKI Laser is at least 7 yrs old and prints great labels. We use weatherproof labels for most labeling applications. For very short run labels I use my Primera Label printer. If you are purchasing a new laser I recommend you check with the manufacturer and find out what temp your printer reaches. I used to be able to use waterproof labels by Labels by the Sheet. They changed the manufacturer of their labels and I did not realize it until the darn labels melted onto the fuser of my digital oki. That was fun to remove. Best to check on the operating temperature then check with the company you are going to purchase labels from. Avery weatherproof will work fine in my laser
This is a picture of one of my laser labels
dead-sea-salt-scrubs-2_zpsbee20443.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't used that specific printer, but I've always used HP and love them. :) I tried a Samsung once and immediately took it back. I get my labels from onlinelabels.com and never had a problem with them melting etc. Really a laser machine should never get that hot. If it's a decent printer, there should be a setting to change the fuser temp anyways. :) I have 2 lasers and both are huge 100lb+ machines that take up my entire desk. They really don't get hot.

I am wondering if there may be some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on laser printers before I take my stuff to a chain or a local printing place. Of course I am worried there are going to be all these set-up fees/minimums with using a local company, but of course I would rather support them.

I'm not sure about the US, but I bought a HP CM1415fn colour all-in-one laser printer - and it's great. Printing quality is spot on. The Admiral Lady uses it for printing out teaching material, so it takes a beating and handles it really well. It will be used for my labels and so on, that's for sure. It cost us 350€ - the wireless version was a little bit more expensive and not overly a concern for us, so we didn't go for that option.

Replaced the toner with non-standard and having nothing but issues now, so will go back to originals - false economy.

I haven't used that specific printer, but I've always used HP and love them. :) I tried a Samsung once and immediately took it back. I get my labels from onlinelabels.com and never had a problem with them melting etc. Really a laser machine should never get that hot. If it's a decent printer, there should be a setting to change the fuser temp anyways. :) I have 2 lasers and both are huge 100lb+ machines that take up my entire desk. They really don't get hot.

Sorry to dispute your temp theory, my oki is a quality printer, although it is a few yrs old and it does get hot. According to Oki it is a problem with some of the digital lasers and it can be adjusted for temp but will still not accept all labels. Mine may not be 100 lbs but it is approx 50 lbs and gets to hot for Label by the sheet weatherproof labels.

I got a Samsung ($129 during black Friday/cyber Monday) and used onlinelabels.com labels and they worked great without any overheating.

That's a great deal, Spicey! I got a Brother a couple of weeks before that for about $190 and it's working fine with OnlineLabels. However the lip balm labels of theirs are peeling off the tubes! (and I did wipe before applying). Also, the lip balm labels were mixed up in orientation, so we printed some wrong since we just popped several sheets in the printer with the top sheet oriented correctly. I don't think I'll use their lip balm labels again, unfortunately I bought quite a few sheets.

With my lip balm labels I put clear packing tape over them. Seem to be the best way for me to get them to stick. Wondered about trying the tamper evident shrink wrap bands to go on top of them. Seems like doing double work, but not sure what else to do.

Glad to read about the lip balm labels, that was going to be my next project! I am so far happy with the Samsung, I had that baby working overtime on Friday night, it had every chance to overheat! :)

Avery makes some very nice weatherproof labels that stick very well. We use them for all products other than soap. I just use regular labels for my soaps, since they are half the cost of weatherproof. 2x4 labels are a very handy size to work with

Thanks for the tip, cmzaha. I did want smearproof labels for everything because I've seen my soap labels look bad when relatives displayed them in the bathroom forever and they got spattered form the sink etc.. However that was inkjet--do laser labels stay nice?

The lip balm labels from onlinelabels seemed perfect, they're designed with a perforation so putting on just one thing gives you the tamper-proof seal too. But it's SO HARD to line it up, even though there's an almost-visible line on the lip balm tube. I almost always had some offset, and right next to my logo. Putting the logo/important stuff in the middle of the label would be better. So I think using the shrink stuff over a label that is smaller and requires less accuracy would be easier in the end. And, breaking the perforation is tough.

When I went to use my Brother printer for the labels, and selected Labels as the paper, it wanted me to hand-feed them. Then it pulled it in a little crooked and only one label came out usable. I switched to Glossy paper and drawer-feed and it worked wonderfully.

Samsung update: Sent that baby back to Amazon after having to reset it manually after every.single.sheet. It just never worked itself back out in terms of either saying it was offline, or a paper jam. I have a new one on the way, hopefully it was a lemon.

I have a Dell Inkjet multifunction printer, and wouldn't think about using it for labels that are going to get any kind of handling, like lip balms. It's fine for basic labels, but I surely do wish I had gotten a laser printer instead. I don't make lip balms for now because I can't adequately label them, how sad it that! What, tape over the label? I think NOT! ;)

I can only imagine myself trying to put packing tape over a little tube. You should see the mess I make with packing tape and a big box at the post office! I better get my stuff straight though, because I ordered lip balm tubes. ;)

Paillo, I think there's a shrink tubes design for lip balm that would tear off for the cap but stay on the rest of the tube, which should protect an inkjet label. Of course I don't know where I've seen that (but I think I have!)

Spicey, when I was putting the labels through my Brother printer on manual it "jammed' several times--with nothing actually stuck in the printer. I still had to open both access flaps and mess around. This happened a couple of times, then I switched to Glossy setting. Before I ordered labels from Onlinelabels I'd called and asked the labels people about temperature, melting etc. (as advised here) and was told I could always set the printer to Glossy rather than Labels. Doing that saved me, because Glossy can go in the drawer (at least on mine)

Latest posts

Back