Expensive this is!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porumi

Reaction score
Hi all,

What can I say, it is expensive hobby this! How do you guys do it without selling to cover the costs at least?

I am totally in love with making soap, but it is becoming clear that once I learn all the tricks of the trade, I will have to sell.

Ta.

It is an expensive hobby for sure.. I bought the largest amounts of oils etc that I could afford to try to keep the cost done a little bit.

Perhaps I shouldn't, but I donate a lot of soap to a local pantry and the workers there say people love having handmade soap to choose. I don't package them in this circumstance because of extra costs- I let them figure out how to present it. But you can take a tax write-off for donated goods and you can write it off for a reasonable price based on comparables. I usually set mine at $4 a bar for tax purposes, which I think is fair for 5 ounce soaps. Depending on your tax bracket, the write-off can save you enough in taxes to about pay for the soap.

However, you shouldn't donate your soap unless you are confident in your recipe- you don't want to hurt anyone with lye heavy soap or anything.

I have probably spent $150 on my first round of supplies... I don't really know that I plan to sell so much as give as gifts, etc.
And, that said I still don't have an actual mold! Just cardboard at this point;)

Perhaps I shouldn't, but I donate a lot of soap to a local pantry and the workers there say people love having handmade soap to choose. I don't package them in this circumstance because of extra costs- I let them figure out how to present it. But you can take a tax write-off for donated goods and you can write it off for a reasonable price based on comparables. I usually set mine at $4 a bar for tax purposes, which I think is fair for 5 ounce soaps. Depending on your tax bracket, the write-off can save you enough in taxes to about pay for the soap.

However, you shouldn't donate your soap unless you are confident in your recipe- you don't want to hurt anyone with lye heavy soap or anything.

Be careful on the tax deduction. If it's inventory you normally sell in your business the charitable deduction is the lower of the FMV or your cost (there are some exceptions to this).

Well the cool thing is once you have some things you don't have to keep buying them, like your molds, bowls, that kind of stuff. You can look for a Cash and Carry in your area (restaurant supply) for some things too, they usually have a good price on your oils. I used to go in on some packaging with another soaper, the place had high minimums so it worked out well for both of us.

I don't sell so I don't have to worry about that particular tax issue. I just need someplace to unload soap because I keep wanting to make it but I and friends only use so much.

It may seem expensive to some but believe me it's cheap compared my husbands! Can we say, hunting, not just local, fishing, where the big ones are (Alaska), boating, white water rafting, need I go on? And are there any horse people out there?

I've taken to paying for things in cash and sneaking them into the house...ssshhh don't tell.

Of all my hobbies or attempted business, this one is by far the cheapest, lol. For instance, I make soap to help the goats pay for themselves.

I am donating some of my soap to Sister Hugs; wonderful group that make "Love Bombs" for people that are really hurting such as cancer victims, etc. You can find them at this link https://www.facebook.com/SisterHugs. I know they would love getting your soap to include in their gift boxes.

Husbands and horses ... yes, Sistrum, I completely understand.

Took a mohair cinch making class recently ... loved it ... even my instructor thought I did a very good job. I would like very much to make more. But what would I do with, say, a dozen cinches?

At least most people like a gift of handmade soap. But a cinch? :thumbdown:

I figure I'm saving the $$$ I used to spend monthly on artisan soap by making my own. This is actually why I originally started making soap...to save money! I just didn't know I would get addicted :)
And yep, my other passion (music) is more costly. I've been playing piano since I was five, and I've had my piano for years, so no money issues there. But I've always loved the violin so I started private violin lessons last year and I've recently been contemplating buying a better violin as my skills improve.
BUT, last week I was fooling around with a Les Paul electric guitar and fell in love with the acoustics; I had to force myself to put it down and walk away. I mean, really...I know nothing about playing a guitar and I sooo don't need one.
After pining for that freaking guitar for a few days, my (wonderful, understanding) husband went and bought it for me! The sound is so sweet that just tuning it makes me happy...I didn't even realize that I was smiling while fiddling around with it until my husband commented on it :)
Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you happy and d*mn the cost...life is short, but wide!

Christmas is coming and the $500 husband and I usually spend on adults will instead be under $100 this year since everyone has made it abundantly clear that they expect handcrafted soaps. So logically, that's $400 I saved us so it only makes sense to invest it in my soap selling LOL Follow me? ;-)

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I like the optisim here :)

I am too totally addicted to this and really am having a great time. Cant wait for weekend and make some more. But like I say, something will have to give as a lot of money is leaving my bank account. :)

Was reading that assesments here in UK are also expensive and rather a pain in the backside to get. But if needs must! Perhaps late next year..

Thanks,
Porumi

It really is expensive hobby. It makes me feel better when I think that I will be spending less for birthday gifts and christmas gits. Everybody's getting soaps this year - nicely wrapped and that's it :)

Shop goodwill for some of your supplies too. Stick with stainless steel for bowls, stick blender, and measuring bits, and plastic or stainless for your utensils. I got some stainless mixing bowls for $1 each, scrupulously cleaned them, and they are good to go!

You can purchase silicone pans for little molds this way as well. Like any other hobby, soaping has to fit into your overall budget. :)

Back