craft fair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlily321

Reaction score
as you all know I'm still so new to soap making(5 loafs under my belt on cp lots on mp). at work the other day a lady came up to me saying she over heard me talking about my soap making. asking me if i would love to join the town craft fair. now i hope i was being nice i told her I'm still so new at this and don't know how my soap will hold up exc.. that maybe next year i might be ready to do craft fairs. she seemed happy with my answer, understanding that if i do sale my craft i want it to be the best that i can put out. she gave me her card telling me when I'm ready to sale give her a call.

now me being me i'm over thinking it.
everyone i talked to said I did the right thing wanting to put the best i can out there for people to enjoy, but they don't make soap or any craft so I'm asking you helpful people to help me from over thinking did i do the right thing?:confused:

Yes. You should wait at least a year, get feedback on your soap and fix problems. There is alot of things to consider, not to mention insurance and tax laws. If you really want a business, you have to do this with experience and thought. I was making soap and giving away to friends for almost 3 years before i did a show.

Ty that what I was thinking !!! I always over think everything even after I've all ready done it <3 you put my mined at ease Ty

I agree with Ruby that you did the right thing. I think that you made a wise choice and that there is a lot to think about before selling your soaps and a lot of learning if you are still new to things. I know what you mean about overthinking things as I do the same thing myself.

You did the right thing.... I would say in 6 months, depending on how often you are making soap you might be ready then which would take you to the Christmas markets.....

That's what I'm hoping for....I'm making soap every day and want to sell by Christmas :)

Yeah, I hope I can sell some of my soap in the future, not necessarily to make money, but to pay for the cost of making it :) It is not something I am looking to do for quite a while yet, I know I still have a lot to learn. In the meantime, I have to see if I can find some open windows I can toss some soap into... err, I mean testers, find testers, yeah, that's it ;-)

Yes you did! I've been working on my cp soap for almost 2 years. I will be selling at some point this year. There's no point in selling an untested product!

When I hit the markets, I'll know my stuff and have all the kinks worked out. My testers think I'm ready now, but with all of my recent mishaps, I'm glad I waited!

It's also nice to look back on old soaps. I now know what's held up and what hasn't!

Some other things I've been able to do by waiting...

Created a buzz around my soap and when it will be ready for sale
Collected a mailing list of potential customers who are eagerly waiting for the selling to begin - I've even had people knock on my door and ask if they can buy some
Polished my 'company's' image and what I want to portray to the public

I want to be sure that when I truly start selling, I have a superior product. This takes time, money, patience, trial and error, and a whole lotta work, work, work!

I do sell to a select few who have helped create the buzz for me to help offset the cost of start-up. I'm finding that people want most what they can't have! It will be interesting to see if these people that have shown interest cough up the cash...lol.

When you get more experiance you will want to get Soap Maker 3. It will make a world of differance in your soap making than using soap cal. But first you need to make alot more soap and have it tested by many people with different water types and skin types and if you can humidity types. Then you will also need to get insurance. Lots to think of so take your time and do not feel pressured to sell.

When you get more experiance you will want to get Soap Maker 3. It will make a world of differance in your soap making than using soap cal. But first you need to make alot more soap and have it tested by many people with different water types and skin types and if you can humidity types. Then you will also need to get insurance. Lots to think of so take your time and do not feel pressured to sell.

I actually got SoapMaker fairly early in so I could make notes on each batch for comparison....

Latest posts

Back