EO's for candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassgirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to dabble in candles, and have made one one-pound soy pillar candle so far. I used a tablespoon of lavender EO in it. It smells amazing up close, but the scent doesn't throw into the room at all.

I've been searching around to find out how aromatherapy candles are made, without much success. Maybe I didn't use enough EO, but if I use more it would cost a fortune.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get throw out of an EO-scented candle?

Thanks in advance!

I make container candles using stearic acid. ~12 ounces of SA and .6 ounce of EO, .4 for Anise. I found the lavender (40/42) and the lemongrass to be a little too strong.
1 table spoon = 1/2 ounce.

I don't know if they're so much stronger than yours because of the wax, the fact that they're containers or the higher amount of EO but you might try the SA.... it does make a clean burning candle that is ROCK hard.

PS. I know what you mean about EO prices. In the little time I've been soap making several EO's have doubled, and some tripled, in price!!!

You need to use about 5% EOs - some work better than others, of course so you may want to try some blends.

It's an expensive venture to try and be green but it's worth it! Our planet and children will thank you for staying natural! :D

Thanks for the replies!

So, if my math is correct, a tablespoon is .5 ounces but I would need .8 ounces (16 oz candle x 5%).

I guess I could do that with some of the less expensive EO's. I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks again! :D

You may also want to try the concentrated versions - 5 or 10 fold - some citrus oils have them and the scent is just to die for!

Oh, I've never even heard of those! I suppose the citrus scents won't burn away like they do in soap.

bassgirl said:
Oh, I've never even heard of those! I suppose the citrus scents won't burn away like they do in soap.

citrus oils tend to smell like fuel when burned in candles.

Oh, thanks, that's good to know. Seems like I haven't seen any citrus candles that I can remember.

Latest posts

Back