Gonna try Buttermilk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
I asked about the milk powders the other day, but noone ever answered ( I shamefully deleted my post....lol) I know... :roll:

Anyway...tomorrow I am gonna do my regular recipe, and add some buttermilk powder at trace.

I will reserve a little water with no lye to mix my BM.

I'd like to make a gentle face bar with buttermilk and shea. We will see how it goes.

Vic :lol:

holly99 said:
I agree, nice picture.

Vic, I thought I replied...???

It was a different thread specifically about when to add the powder, you did answer in the other thread.

Its ok....It was probably answered in the other thread and I just missed it.

Oh, gotcha! :D

I saw someone post a while back about using 100% buttermilk and how it bubbles like crazy. I've been intrigued with buttermilk since then. Sounds fun. I'm interested in how that batch goes.

I've made several buttermilk soaps. I used buttermilk from Cub and froze it. What's cool is that you can buy a tiny carton and not waste any money! Comes out creamy colored. I did one with a good amount of shea and it's very creamy. I think it was my second batch of soap or something and it actually turned out! MIL, who is super sensitive, uses it on her hands and said it was the creamiest soap she ever used.

Castorfan, great pic! I thought you were my age...36! You certainly don't act "old"! LOL!

I bought some Buttermilk powder on my last order but haven't gotten around to making it yet, so I'm interested in how yours turns out. :wink:

I really like buttermilk soap. It's done well for me! Your post inspired me to make another batch :)

Got mine in the crockpot......we will see how it goes So far...so good.
Didnt change color or anything. I added the powder at trace.

I think I am gonna leave it uncented.... just to get a good feel for what it will be like.

OK.. once my soap started to cook......it turned colors even tho I added it at trace.

Gonna try it again and add it at the end of the cook...and see how that does.

After the cook sounds like the way to go. I have an HP book and they use full water (38%), but take out 25% for after the cook. Then take half of the 25% and make a milk slurry with your powder, put in freezer, and keep the other half of water cold. After the cook add your cold water to help cool down the mixture and then add the slushy cold milk (not frozen), and stir away so that the soap doesn't harden from being cold. I did that with a GM recipe. The soap was very fluid after all of that and is a nice color now. I used OMH FO so that discolors, but it's a light color.

UPDATED

Batch 2, I added Buttermilk Powder, after the cook...along with just a little shea butter. What a pretty color soap....a real light whitish cream. YAY.......FINALLY !

Re: UPDATED

Vic1963 said:
Batch 2, I added Buttermilk Powder, after the cook...along with just a little shea butter. What a pretty color soap....a real light whitish cream. YAY.......FINALLY !

Please please please put up a picture! :D

I got the buttermilk powder at walmart.

I learned a few things from these batches today....as far as how I personally want to make it.

1. Is to save back part of my water to mix with the Powdered Buttermilk.
2. Add the powdered Buttermilk , at the end of the cook ( I do crockpot)
3. Mix the Buttermilk with the reserved water , then into the cooked soap( I pulled out a little soap and mixed it with it today...and it didn't all dissolve)

4. Put it in the fridge to cool it down faster after I put it in the mold. Just to make sure it don't heat up to much and change colors on me .

My soap is usually real bubbly, now with the BM, is bubbly with a smooth creamy froth to it.

I do think I will try another recipe that I have besides my bubbly one. I have a great recipe a friend gave me that has shortening in it that might make a better buttermilk soap....it don't have as much coconut oil as the one I use now does...so it might be a little milder to the skin.
I will keep tweeking till I get what I want. :)

Vickey

Latest posts

Back