Oil suggestions for cold process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I have 2 hot process under my belt, one almost lost! Thank you for the help! I am about to try CP. I could use the same oils that I did for the HP, olive, coconut and crisco, but I do have a couple of other oils on hand (I don't have palm). I also have flax, avocado, and sesame. Any thoughts as to a decent combo with what I have? Thank you in advance!
Laura

I would suggest you use the same recipe you use for HP, so you can compare the two.

Here's another recipe you could try, if you like.

Castor 5% (you can find a small bottle in the pharmacy section with the laxatives).
coconut 20%
Crisco 50% (or lard.)
Olive 15% - 20%
Avocado or flax 5% - 10%

I think sesame has a short shelf life and would be prone to rancidity.

I actually like sesame oil in soap, but you need to be sure it's fresh and not old, AND keep the percentage very small. It has a darker color, so it will affect any colorants you may add. Your flax also needs to be fairly fresh. If you are using cooking oils from your pantry that you've had on hand for over 6 months, I would not add the flax nor the sesame.

Thank you!! I did end up using the same recipe as I did for the HP, will be an interesting comparison. I didn't know that I could get castor oil at the pharmacy, GREAT!! I did find clean-up a bit worse with the CP, and I had to stay 'gloved-up' longer, but I loved that I didn't have to rush and had a bit of time to work with color! Tomorrow will tell! Thanx again,
Laura

One good thing about CP vs HP- your soap is likely to be ready is a little less time than HP soap. You'll see why in a few weeks if you test a bar of each type.

Latest posts

Back