Experience of anorexic dog? Anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1469633625.111909.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1469633645.602757.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1469633699.161457.jpg

You must be scared, exhausted absolutely overwhelmed right now, I'm sorry.

Sonya, anyone who's had a pet with kidney disease can tell you there are days when you wonder if the end is near - only to be surprised a week later with how well they recover. I don't want to offer false hope, but I and others I've commiserated with learned not to give up. There's many nuances to the condition and there's a balancing act to finding what works with
your pet.

Take notes (with dates) - on everything. Food, water, mood, energy.

Has the vet mentioned subcutaneous fluids? Vets differ on their importance. My cat seemed to feel better with them.

When this crisis passes, I encourage you to talk with other owners, vets, and find an online support group or forum. There's no much to learn. This is vital...its hearing other owners talk about how many times their pets were in dire shape, but then improved....that taught me not to make assumptions, or give up with this disease.

Never give up until there are no other options - there can be incredible turnarounds with this disease. I dearly hope you're experiencing one this week. Sending you hugs, lots of support and courage. Keep us informed.

Oh dear, so sorry for all of this! We had a dog, so know how we really get so attached to our pets. Making sure thay are well cared for, get lots of love, cuddles, making sure they are eating right, being safe, having fun and have lots of room to be just silly, goofy dogs.

But when they get sick... Nothing like the feeling of complete loss of control when nothing really helps. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and hope it turns out all righ in the end <3

My cat kept getting kidney infections - they prescribed him special kidney food and he ate it willingly. Every time he did though, he vomited it up within a few hours. I made the decision to take him off it myself as I was seriously concerned about dehydration and weight loss. I wonder if buster's new food has disagreed with him severely too. :(

Sonya my late dog ate something and she would not stop vomiting, not eating no drinking at this time. My friend gave me (pharmacist) gave me few pills for people who can not stop vomiting after chemo, It stopped and I started her on clear liquids for a few days, She recovered and I had her for another year. Blessed year. I hope, that you doggie will recover, I hope in it so much. To lose a dog is losing a family member and the pain is awful :) Sending the warmest thoughts to your pop and to you

You must be scared, exhausted absolutely overwhelmed right now, I'm sorry.

Sonya, anyone who's had a pet with kidney disease can tell you there are days when you wonder if the end is near - only to be surprised a week later with how well they recover. I don't want to offer false hope, but I and others I've commiserated with learned not to give up. There's many nuances to the condition and there's a balancing act to finding what works with
your pet.

Take notes (with dates) - on everything. Food, water, mood, energy.

Has the vet mentioned subcutaneous fluids? Vets differ on their importance. My cat seemed to feel better with them.

When this crisis passes, I encourage you to talk with other owners, vets, and find an online support group or forum. There's no much to learn. This is vital...its hearing other owners talk about how many times their pets were in dire shape, but then improved....that taught me not to make assumptions, or give up with this disease.

Never give up until there are no other options - there can be incredible turnarounds with this disease. I dearly hope you're experiencing one this week. Sending you hugs, lots of support and courage. Keep us informed.

I've read so much over the last few days my head is going to pop. I think we're going to do away with the prescription food and make him one of the many renal diets people recommend.

I've found a Facebook group that has answered many questions but also generated more I need to ask the vet.

Regarding sub q fluids he's currently drinking ok again and hasn't vomited and had a loose stool since this morning.

The vet said we should give him anything he's willing to eat at the moment without worrying too much about his kidneys since his bloods weren't giving high readings. So he's not really shown an interest in the high calorie food but he has eaten, by himself without coaxing, 3 fish fingers and a custard cream biscuit. I'd made him a renal dog food the other day with rice, beef mince, butternut squash, green beans, sweet potato and egg whites cooked in coconut oil. I've puréed this along with some gravy for taste, fish fingers, Yorkshire puddings and white bread. I've been syringe feeding him this hourly today and so far he hasn't been sick since around 10am. I needed to purée some more tonight - it's in daily portions in the freezer - so I added some of the high calorie vet food to the mix. I put a few spoons of it into his bowl and he ate maybe 2 spoons of it unaided. These are very small steps but I'm pinning all my hopes that's he's gonna come through this.

I've read so much over the last few days my head is going to pop. I think we're going to do away with the prescription food and make him one of the many renal diets people recommend.

I've found a Facebook group that has answered many questions but also generated more I need to ask the vet.

Regarding sub q fluids he's currently drinking ok again and hasn't vomited and had a loose stool since this morning.

That is so good to hear!!

Sub q fluids, in cats, help remove some of the impurities the kidney doesn't, not just dehydration. Just another thing for you to investigate. Not all vets or owners feel they are necessary for that purpose.

Keep learning Sonya. Deep breaths. Ask lots of questions.

He is so precious - probably a real lover. Good to hear things are slowly improving

That is good to hear! And thanks for the pics; he is just beautiful! I love Shar Pei and their smooshy faces.

It's so difficult to have a sick pet. It weighs on the heart. I hope your guy comes around.

Have your tried adding something super smelly, since smell is so linked to taste? I was wondering if you got tuna packed in water and then just used the water part over or with his other food. I see he ate some fish so maybe that would appeal, or if you used the oil from a can of sardines, that may go over well too. Wet cat food is often very appealing to dogs and maybe a spoonful or two mixed in would help.

I've heard of Satin balls being used to put weight on a dog. One assumes they are appealing to dogs. The name drives me mad, but the recipe was named after the dog for whom the owner made the recipe.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Latest posts

Back