Solid perfume in wooden containers.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're in Alabama, so if you're ever in the area, PM me and maybe we can set something up!

She took a class at the John Campbell Folk School in North Carolina. They offer all sorts of classes - blacksmithing, wood carving, wood turning, soap making, cooking, photography, etc. I took a broom making class and it was so much fun! It's like camp for grown ups.

Awesome boxes. I can't believe she JUST learned. They look like she's been doing it a long time. What wood did she use? Did she already have the tools and lathe or did she invest after the class? What an amazing talent and a fun hobby. I saw a show where a guy would find scrap wood with knots and turn the knots into the most incredible bowls and vases. He said he liked the knots the best because they're challenging to work with and he never knows what they'll reveal. Sorry.... I like woody things, too.

I've been eying the Folk School's spinning classes, their soaping classes and their botanicals classes. They have so much to offer, it is mind boggling. (I'm pretty sure I saw a mandolin making class in the catalog. :???:) Did you and your mom do weekend classes or the week long sessions?

Awesome boxes. I can't believe she JUST learned. They look like she's been doing it a long time. What wood did she use? Did she already have the tools and lathe or did she invest after the class? What an amazing talent and a fun hobby. I saw a show where a guy would find scrap wood with knots and turn the knots into the most incredible bowls and vases. He said he liked the knots the best because they're challenging to work with and he never knows what they'll reveal. Sorry.... I like woody things, too.

I've been eying the Folk School's spinning classes, their soaping classes and their botanicals classes. They have so much to offer, it is mind boggling. (I'm pretty sure I saw a mandolin making class in the catalog. :???:) Did you and your mom do weekend classes or the week long sessions?

She's had the lathe for a little over a year. She took one other wood turning class at JC and she has a 2 hour class with a local guy about once a month. She LOVES knots! Wood bolls - which are caused by tree parasites - are awesome too.

The broom making class we took was a weekend class. The recent wood turning class Mom took was a week class. If you are pinching your pennies, it's cheaper to get a hotel room in Brasstown and eat fast food there, about 5 minutes from the school, vs staying on campus and eating in the dining hall. Most classes also have a materials fee on top of the class fee, so be sure to look in to that. For example, in the broom making class, there was a $50 material fee. That went directly to the instructor to pay for the materials he brought, which included waxed linen thread, sticks for the broom handles, broom corn (that's what makes the bristle part). That $50 covered 3 brooms. If you made more than that, there was an additional fee per broom.

I took a week-long wood turning class from the late Dale Nish in Utah many, many moons ago. He was a wizard wood turner. There's a feel to woodturning that can only be learned by working with someone who really knows what he's doing.

Back