Lip Balm Filling trays

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too like using the pipette method although that shot glass method looks a lot quicker:). I had trouble with the elastic band; I couldn't for the life of me get all my tubes level with it. Thank god I only make a handful at a time.

I use something along the same idea as what Dorie uses, only mine are made out of silicone: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...e=&network=g&gclid=CIKKy7z898gCFROTfgod0a8C0A

Each poacher safely holds enough melted base for 6 balms, and since I only make small batches of 6 to 12 tubes at a time, they work perfectly for me. They float on top of my simmering water beautifully with no tipping. When it comes time to pour, I just remove the poacher from my pot onto a cloth so I can blot the water off of the underside, then I squeeze the sides together to form a spout and pour into my tubes. Easy-peasy.

IrishLass :)

I put a rubberband around them all in a huge bunch. Stand them all up on the counter with the lids off and slowly get the rubber band stretched ariund like 25 (for example.) They are pressed close enough and stand quite stable. Than i use a pipette to squirt the stuff in and let it harden.

I've been wanting to make lip balm for a while, but haven't been able to find lip balm tubes locally. I can find beeswax, but not tubes. And I'm unsure what to flavor it with, since I don't have EOs.

I buy my tubes off the internet. They are not very expensive if you buy 100. If it is just for you, recycle your own old tubes, or get some tins.

I would use a flavor oil, rather than an EO, just out of an abundance of caution if I were giving them away. Peppermint, spearmint, and lemongrass EOs are available at Hobby Lobby, although they are horribly expensive compared to soap making sites.

I buy my tubes off the internet. They are not very expensive if you buy 100. If it is just for you, recycle your own old tubes, or get some tins.

I would use a flavor oil, rather than an EO, just out of an abundance of caution if I were giving them away. Peppermint, spearmint, and lemongrass EOs are available at Hobby Lobby, although they are horribly expensive compared to soap making sites.

I would be making them for myself and if a friend wanted one, that's about it, so buying bunches would be a waste. But tins are a good idea, though I prefer a tubes so I don't have to stick my finger in it LOL. I saw the EOs at HL and wasn't willing to pay their exhortation pricing, so I passed on them. I did just learn there is a store down the road, a vitamin/herb shop, that carries EOs, so once I get a couple bucks, I will check them out.

I wonder if the HL up the street has flavor oils? Really don't want to go synthetic, would rather use EOs, but we will see. TY for the info :)

They did not have flavor oils when I checked last. I've been busy since I got married and moved, so I have not been back since. I don't even have time to crochet any more. Maybe now that it is getting cooler, I will find more time.

Gigi -- I have a bunch of lip balm tubes. Send me a PM with your address and how many tubes you want. I'll send them to you, my treat.

I saw a selection of LorAnn flavorings at Walmart this weekend -- they were in a hanging display in the cake decorating section. They are used for flavoring candies, frosting, etc. I would think they would also be safe for lip balms. https://www.lorannoils.com/ Maybe others have some perspective on this -- I've never used them.

I would be making them for myself and if a friend wanted one, that's about it, so buying bunches would be a waste. But tins are a good idea, though I prefer a tubes so I don't have to stick my finger in it LOL. I saw the EOs at HL and wasn't willing to pay their exhortation pricing, so I passed on them. I did just learn there is a store down the road, a vitamin/herb shop, that carries EOs, so once I get a couple bucks, I will check them out.

I wonder if the HL up the street has flavor oils? Really don't want to go synthetic, would rather use EOs, but we will see. TY for the info :)

Where are you located? Many soap suppliers sell tubes and flavorings. Camden Grey sells tubes and EOs, and Brambleberry and Majestic Mountain Sage sell tubes, EOs and flavorings.

Also, when I use prime pressed cocoa butter and yellow beeswax, mine has a naturally chocolatey scent. You can also use mint EO, lemongrass EO and lavender EO.

If you use the LorAnn flavorings just confirm that they are oil-based. If I remember right, I think I recollect reading on another forum that not all of them are oil-based......or maybe it was the GetSuckered flavor oils....dang, I forget. In any case, it never hurts to check. :)

Just be careful if you're going to be using EOs. MMS sells certain EOs for the lips, but they have very strict usage rates on them. And you'll want to be mindful if any are phototoxic, such as citrus oils. If you'll be using any citrus ones, make sure they are the 'folded' type. The phototoxic element has been removed from the folded type.

IrishLass :)

Gigi -- I have a bunch of lip balm tubes. Send me a PM with your address and how many tubes you want. I'll send them to you, my treat.

I saw a selection of LorAnn flavorings at Walmart this weekend -- they were in a hanging display in the cake decorating section. They are used for flavoring candies, frosting, etc. I would think they would also be safe for lip balms. https://www.lorannoils.com/ Maybe others have some perspective on this -- I've never used them.

Oh! I had not even thought of the candy making aisle - duh! LOL. And TY! I've been looking at the tubes, but don't need more than half dozen, and even that is so thwt if I lose one (which I anticipate I will LOL) I have a backup. TY DeeAnna much appreciated :)

Where are you located? Many soap suppliers sell tubes and flavorings. Camden Grey sells tubes and EOs, and Brambleberry and Majestic Mountain Sage sell tubes, EOs and flavorings.

Also, when I use prime pressed cocoa butter and yellow beeswax, mine has a naturally chocolatey scent. You can also use mint EO, lemongrass EO and lavender EO.

I'm in Houston Texas :)

Latest posts

Back