Browsing Brambleberry Heaven - In Person!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got tobacco bay leaf, black Amber lavender, salty mariner, lavender cedar, then sea moss and tomato leaf today. They all smell really good oob. Black Amber lavender smells a little too sweet, but I'm betting it mellows out once soaped. The sea moss smells so good, tomato leaf a little but not a ton oob like tomato leaves (we grow a ton of tomatoes each yr), and has a lemon bite like smell. Wondering how it changes when soaped. Did tobacco bay leaf today, wondering if it slowed trace, it took forever to thicken and I attempted big peaks the first time. Didn't work out. So, soaps like a dream for swirls. Lavender Forest is my fave over lavender cedar oob, but I need to soap it to truly compare.

Enjoy and post your purchases (if you don't mind!).

Have a "safe" blast!!

You wouldn't believe how hard this is! 68 ounces seems like a lot but it's not that much with this great selection. Decisions decisions! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1414876954.166384.jpg

Last edited:
OMG you wouldn't believe it! I was all over that place like a bee in a flower field -- face down and vibrating madly! Tough decisions but in the end I pulled through. Maxed out on liquids and picked a palette of colorants as well. Off for Dungeness crab now, will tell you more later!

First, no fair outing me. It could be dangerous; I may now be on BB's hit list for breaking my cover.

Nah, I just love them because they have more consistent quality than any other place I've shopped for FO's and I have poor impulse control which means I have loads more than a single hobby soaper needs. It's best that Carabou went and not I.

And what the heck kind of post was that, Miss C Bou???!! You bought a bunch of stuff but NOTHING, not a single IOTA, of information about your choices? You are fired.

Ladies, ladies! Don't lynch me; I'm just an addict! Gluttony rules! Besides, DH needed to be rewarded for not asking the wrong questions or getting impatient. Such a good boy!

It might not have been pretty to my ma, but newbie, I swear you'd be proud. I sniffed til I was loopy, then I stopped and smiled at everyone, whiffed my beans and caught my breath, and sniffed some more. In the basket... more in the basket... oh wait, but --- NO! LEAVE IT IN THE BASKET! --yeah, you're right, this is unique, this is not an every day situation, I swear I won't do this again tomorrow. Uh huh and think how many tomorrows I will sniff and smile again :rolleyes:

If I had ordered online, guaranteed I would have bought bigger -- and fewer -- bottles. But now that I've smelled them in person, I know that the maximum number must be set free from the ogles of other addicts, who would only take one whiff and then move on thoughtlessly to the one beside them. I saved them from a horrible shelf life. Oh, how happy we'll be!

Long may they life -- in soap!!

otion 1.jpg

otion2.jpg

otion3.jpg

Ah! You surprised me. I see you trend to the fruits and flowers and imagine this- you now have some FO's that I do not! I figure one of these days I will end up with every FO they make and I am well on my way.

So what soaps do you have planned to put your little rescues to work?

Oh ho, I also see 10% off a future purchase. Sweet!

Oh ho, I also see 10% off a future purchase. Sweet!

Yes, 10% off, but how could I possibly need anything else in my lifetime? That would just be chasing the dragon. Never mind that (thanks to you) I already had a robust stockpile that any junkie would envy. Oh newbie, what have you done to me?? You looked so glamorous on the FO streets but now I feel so vulnerable! Ah screw it, I'll just make more soap! And PM me with your wish list, let's get high together!

I'm happy to report that all of my new fragrances survived the flight home. I wrapped the bottles individually in newspaper and grouped 4-6 together in gallon-sized ziplock baggies. Then I surrounded the ziplocks with thick brown grocery bags. They all went in to one small suitcase without much else in it, in case there were any troubles. I declared it as hazardous materials to the airline baggage agent, and told her it was under the amount allowable in TSA's Passenger Hazmat Exemption (link below). The agent didn't even think it was hazardous materials, so she didn't mark it in any way or treat it any differently than other luggage.

I think it's pretty clear from the TSA regulations that low flashpoint EOs and FOs are classified as hazardous, but it is also clear that there is an exception from prohibiting it in checked luggage as long as it is less than 68 oz total. My thought process in declaring it was that it is just like checking a gun &/or ammunition in your luggage -- you need to declare it when they ask you if you have a gun or any hazardous materials at check-in, and it is handled differently than other luggage (you must pick up and sign for gun upon landing). This applies only to checked luggage though, since it is not legal to carry a weapon or large quantities of flammable fluids on the plane with you. But if you look at the list of other hazardous materials that are also excepted, you quickly realize that not very many people would recognize them as hazardous, let alone declare them. This includes nail polish, perfumes, and rubbing alcohol. So based on the agent's reaction, I guess it is not necessary to declare EOs and FOs, though I'd still be inclined to stay under 64 oz if I ever traveled with any again.

Here's the TSA link in case anyone is interested: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...media/materialscarriedbypassengersandcrew.pdf

We are like oil and water, we are. How can you even ask yourself why you would need any other FO's now that you have (only) some? Why not have them all? You are level-headed and that is just all wrong. Isn't the definition of a soaper implicitly one of an addict, an obsessive type with little to no impulse control when it comes to certain supplies?

Are you an alien?

Yeah, that's right. Level-headed. Me! Keep talking baby, you're right on! See, it won't really matter if I buy more. I have this under control. Alien or not!

Back