Finding raw ingredients - bit of a rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.soaperschoice.com

7 lbs of Organic EVOO, Food Grade 1st Cold Pressing USDA Certified QAI Certified NOP Certified, $21.49, or 35 lbs for $99.05. (plus s&h of course)

I don't see any reason not to use extra virgin olive oil, but that's me. It's more readily available.

Does Soapers Choice deliver to Canada? The OP is in Ontario.

"[FONT=arial,geneva,helvetica]Can people outside the United States order from the Soaper's Choice Web Store?

Currently, the Soaper's Choice Web Store is not accepting online orders from outside the United States. Soaper's Choice works international customers. International phone orders can be placed by calling (847) 257-8930 or by FAX at (847)257-8870 ."

So....yes, but no online ordering. I'm guessing that should say works WITH international customers.
[/FONT]

Aline I do not mean disrespect but please , do your homework. If you put 5 ingredients in ie lotion and one is organic (95%organic) the product can be called organic. Organic is overused word right now and sells everything.
Organic does not mean that something was grown without chemicals. Nothing can grow in today world without spraying. Organic means that they use less chemicals and control it better. I am a gardener and I have not a lot of harvest due the fungus on veggies this year. Whatever I have it is organic , was not touched by any chemical :))

Dahila, it may be different where you live, but here in Canada, organic means organic. That means no chemical pesticides and no non-organic inputs. I wasn't even allowed to use newspaper as a mulch, as the inks might have something undesirable in them. And organic standards require large buffer zones and water testing if your land is adjacent to non-organic growers.

If it's 70% organic in a product, it clearly states it on the label.

Sorry Dahlia, You are quite incorrect about this. A producer can identify individual organic ingredients if they don't meet the standard to call the entire product organic, but 95% of the ingredients must be organic to be able to label the entire product as organic. It's quite easy to look up the standards online. http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...2&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title07/7cfr205_main_02.tpl (USA)

And as you are from Canada, too: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/la...s/eng/1389725994094/1389726052482?chap=3#s2c3

I personally know a few organic growers and they definitely don't spray chemicals, and definitely grow ample crops (as do families I know who are nearly self-sufficient with their gardens and livestock) so I'm not sure how you decided that nothing can be grown without spraying chemicals

Last edited:
Thanks Canadawn, I didn't realize Dahila was from Ontario. I'm in Alberta and was seeking organic certification for a market garden, plus I know a lot of organic producers, so I'm always surprised by the 'organic is a scam' mindset.

Thanks Canadawn, I didn't realize Dahila was from Ontario. I'm in Alberta and was seeking organic certification for a market garden, plus I know a lot of organic producers, so I'm always surprised by the 'organic is a scam' mindset.

I'm in Alberta too, and am grateful for the organic producers we have locally and for the time and effort they put into meeting the standards.

kind of off topic, but I saw a vendor at a market selling soap. they have organic in their name. I look at the ingredients, and nothing is labelled as certified organic (which, I've seen other soapers do for their organic ingredients). I asked them if they use organic ingredients. they paused for a SPLIT second, and said yes. so I asked again just to make sure. they said yes. they also make their soaps right in the city (Toronto). so....why would you go to the trouble of sourcing your organic ingredients, but not list them as organic?

I would have asked where they got their oils, but I think they buy in huge quantities as they had 2 full tables FILLED with soap. I'm still weary.......

search continues today....

CanaDawn said:
I personally know a few organic growers and they definitely don't spray chemicals, and definitely grow ample crops (as do families I know who are nearly self-sufficient with their gardens and livestock) so I'm not sure how you decided that nothing can be grown without spraying chemicals
I was not talking about farmers , I know few myself. I was taking about products; like lotion, or creams.
I buy in costco Avocado Oil which is "NO Gmo verified" is it organic? Nor really it is not. Not all no Gmo products are organic.
BTW I make my own breads using organic flours from the Flour Mill. I Did not mean disrespect, If anyone feels I was not polite; please accept my apology :)

I was not talking about farmers , I know few myself. I was taking about products; like lotion, or creams.

I was responding to this comment you made " Nothing can grow in today world without spraying." which is why I assumed you were talking about farmers/growers/producers. I've never grown a lotion, so I didn't immediately think that's what you were referring to.

I was responding to this comment you made " Nothing can grow in today world without spraying." which is why I assumed you were talking about farmers/growers/producers. I've never grown a lotion, so I didn't immediately think that's what you were referring to.

Actually nothing will grow without spraying!!! That's right organic farmers spray the crops, the only difference is they keep using all style chemicals that do not kill bees, or others. They use different herbacides, they keep enough time between spraying and harvesting. Imagine organic farmer not having harvest due to pests on apple or other products. I am reading a lot about organic farming. It is different what most people imagine. :-D
I will not continue this discussion, I mean no disrespect

Last edited:
Things definitely grow. See above where I discuss things growing without spray. I don't imagine, I experience. I'm guessing you live where I don't, because what you are saying is NOT the case here.

I live in Ontario; Canada:) I have a huge veggies patch ; no spraying, so my tomato gave me maybe 8 tomatoes only.. CanaDawn I respect you but you are wrong this time. This time you are not right

Our blackberries went crazy this year and we didn't spray them with anything. We had tons of tomatoes last year and hadn't spayed those either. We do have an organic spray for our fruit trees and will probably get a better harvest from those if we'd remember to actually use it. Personally, I also prefer to buy organic when possible to support organic farming methods. Certified organic food can't have been sprayed or grown with non-organic pesticides.

Contrary to what most people believe, "organic" does not automatically mean "pesticide-free" or "chemical-free". In fact, under the laws of most states, organic farmers are allowed to use a wide variety of chemical sprays and powders on their crops.

So what does organic mean? It means that these pesticides, if used, must be derived from natural sources, not synthetically manufactured. Also, these pesticides must be applied using equipment that has not been used to apply any synthetic materials for the past three years, and the land being planted cannot have been treated with synthetic materials for that period either. Most organic farmers (and even some conventional farmers, too) employ mechanical and cultural tools to help control pests. These include insect traps, careful crop selection (there are a growing number of disease-resistant varieties), and biological controls (such as predator insects and beneficial microorganisms).

Yes I agree with above, I spray with neem oil my garden, which kind of working... We are not talking about synthetic materials we were talking in general.

Last edited:
I still would like to know how RU gets used by "organic" farmers where you live, although since you stated two posts ago you were done with the discussion, I guess I won't ;) . State what you like about my garden and that of others who don't spray (none of which you have any knowledge of, of course), but "don't spray" really does mean no spray - and plenty of produce and things growing - I am currently overrun with tomatoes!

Organic gardeners are specifically regulated so spraying non-approved chemicals would mean instant declassification and a long period of time before they could relabel as organic. But this has been stated more than a few times already in this thread, and I backed up my comment with a link to the actual regulations, so pretty much I'm all done too.

Consider that a lack of pollinators, which is getting worse and worse (thanks in no small part to all the #$%@# chemical sprays that are being used so indiscriminately (and I would say darn near criminally, since they endanger a great deal of life, if nothing changes soon)), may contribute to a shortage of fruits like tomatoes, and that some gardening practices may lead to fungus problems that can be prevented. (And since all the chemicals you sprayed did nothing, clearly they aren't the answer anyhow, I guess). By all means, garden as you see fit...and I hope you will be able to find someone knowledgeable who can help with your tomato problems. :)

Last edited:
Canadawn I know that we both are very passionate about bees, what happen to us when they all die. They already are in small numbers... I know I said I am done, but i could not resist:)) sorry
Have a wonderful day Canadawn:)

Back