The Mission Continues...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I drove to Birmingham last weekend to teach my 81-year-old mom and her Thailand mission team buddies how to make soap. So they could take these skills to Thai villages In November. I emphasized in great detail about proper protective equipment, lye safety and careful measuring. They have tremendous potential to share the love of Christ in tangible and practical ways. Still, I have the strangest feeling that I've just given a room full of toddlers a loaded revolver. I see an international incident in our future.

Saying a prayer for your mom and her buddies..the Lord will take care of them and they'll have a blast :)

So, I drove to Birmingham last weekend to teach my 81-year-old mom and her Thailand mission team buddies how to make soap. So they could take these skills to Thai villages In November. I emphasized in great detail about proper protective equipment, lye safety and careful measuring. They have tremendous potential to share the love of Christ in tangible and practical ways. Still, I have the strangest feeling that I've just given a room full of toddlers a loaded revolver. I see an international incident in our future.

I'm betting that they will be fine as long as they have a handout to remind them of how to safely make soap. :)

edit: I just read your update. I suppose that revolver you left was the knowledge you dropped and we all know what happens when a toddler gets hooked onto something new... ;) God bless them.

Last edited:
I'm betting that they will be fine as long as they have a handout to remind them of how to safely make soap. :)

edit: I just read your update. I suppose that revolver you left was the knowledge you dropped and we all know what happens when a toddler gets hooked onto something new... ;) God bless them.

Yep, My mom is a wonderful country cook..."bit of this, pinch of that." I keep stressing to her that lye/oil calcs are not the time for improvising. She and her friends made their first solo batch Friday and cut it yesterday. Came off without a hitch!

Yep, My mom is a wonderful country cook..."bit of this, pinch of that." I keep stressing to her that lye/oil calcs are not the time for improvising. She and her friends made their first solo batch Friday and cut it yesterday. Came off without a hitch!

The real tradeoff is your soap recipes for her food recipes.. then post them here... ;)

Believe it or not the "secret family recipe" is a dish we call "sauerkraut pork and dumplings." It's quite delicious, but definitely an acquired taste.
Good for your mom! Love to meet people like her that cook authentic dishes, and I love ethnic foods. I learned to cook a lot of Armenian and Romanian dishes while my inlaws were still alive. But one I never bothered to learn to make was made with dumplings, onions, potatoes, bacon fat and lots of paprika. Was like eating a brick. I never could eat that one and refused to ever cook it. Actually the flavor was not bad if you like to eat bricks.:crazy:

Last edited:
I had Sauerkraut with dumplings this weekend up a mountain :) spetzle I had last week. Oh, the joys of living in Austria

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1413227122.131569.jpg

God bless their mission

I had Sauerkraut with dumplings this weekend up a mountain :) spetzle I had last week. Oh, the joys of living in Austria

View attachment 9980

God bless their mission

Ohhh! Now if I could just get a house sitting right where you took that pic..what a beautiful view that would be sitting on the front porch!

No kidding, Jani! What a blessing it would be to be able see such an awesome view like that everyday (or even once a year)!

I'm sure that I would keep expecting to see Julie Andrews come running out of the forest and up the hills singing at the top of her lungs. lol

IrishLass :)

Back