Natural Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has been mentioned, infusing your oil(s) with a botanical and then straining the solids out will give you nice colored oils. Likewise, when I don't want grainy and gritty botanicals in my soap, I will put the botanical in my lye solution when I mix it up. Then, as I add the lye to the oils, I use a strainer to keep the solids out.

In either of these cases, though, be aware that your final color may or may not look anything like the color you started with. :)

The clay powders from Brambleberry are nice (Brazilian pink, yellow and purple and French green). I use 1 teaspoon per about 20 ounces of oils, either mixed into the lye water or dissolved in a few tablespoons of oil after the oil is measured for the soap batter, then added to the soap batter at trace. I haven't had any problems with them. They are muted shades, not super bright.

Second Batch of Soap

Hi all,

First thank you all for your input here in this thread. I made my second batch of soap with a few changes. First I increased the water to lye ratio by a few ounces, I added a fragrance because I couldn't wait to use one! LOL I whipped it until a pudding-like texture which I did not do with the first batch, I sprayed the top liberally with 91% alcohol after pouring into the mold and again about 20 minutes later. I also closed the flaps of the cardboard box and secured them with duct tape. And finally I wrapped it in a towel immediately and let sit 24 hours before cutting.

I am very happy with how this batch came out and see now all the mistakes I made with the first batch.

Again, thanks for all of your help! :)

File Oct 19, 11 20 32 AM.jpg

File Oct 19, 11 06 42 AM.jpg

Latest posts

Back