So I'm stuck in this anatomy class...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm taking anatomy because I have to; 5 hr classes and labs 2 days in a row. (if it doesn't kill ya, it makes you stronger right? Right??)

The professor is an amiable, personable guy and very approachable with questions. Anatomy is hard. (and gross, smelly and boring) So I email him lots of questions. My email has a forgotten label on it that says "iSaponify". So during a lull in lab activities one day, he blurts out, "Lenarenee, do you make soap?" My stunned expression prompted him to explain he noticed my email label.

Well it turns out that he's the biggest non-soaping fan of handmade soap ever! He's been buying soap from a soapmaker I know in Julian, but complained about the cost and how quickly it dissolved. I explained why; high co, high sf, no cure. Then he asked if I sold; and I don't. Some of the other students in the class were curious - so the following week I brought soaps in to hand out to those interested. I warned him my recipe was completely different (Lard!) from what he's used to. Also gave him a salt bar.

He loves them; and his wife stole the salt bar. (she just had a baby, so I don't blame her!)

So not only do I have a professor who pulls me aside during a lull to talk soap, but when he thinks I'm stressing over anatomy too much (memorizing 600 muscle facts in 2 weeks!) he tells me to go home and make soap! Once the baby starts sleeping through the night, I think it will be easy to convince him he needs to learn soaping himself!

Nice, touching story. I have a cocoworker who was mildly interested but he has severe nut allergies so giving him one of my soaps, even though i never use nut oils outside of shea, I still don't feel good about.

Back