Are clear polymer stamps safe in making soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdfeeder

Reaction score
I love these clear polymer stamps, but it seems like the lye "eaten" the stamp, making the stamp opaque when the soap gel is hot. I don't care if the stamp is transparent or not, I just worry about anything toxin there. I know the stamp is safe itself, but I don't know if it is still safe with the hot lye and oil. Does lye(NaOH) or oil have chemical reaction with the stamp? when the soap gel is not hot, the stamp looks OK.
I really like these stamps, they are much less expensive than those soap stamps. If it is safe, I'm going to keep using it. But if it is not safe...

thumb2_img_0048-543.jpg

thumb2_stamp_rusted-545.jpg

thumb2_img_0053-544.jpg

thumb2_img_0016-494.jpg

This happened when I was making my pure coconut oil laundry soap, the soap mold was hot. And I placed these stamps at the bottom of the soap mold.

Last edited:
If you are stamping on cold soap it should be fine, if it is in hot soap I would worry about what the stamp releases into the soap if it is not a stamp for soap making.

I just happen to see your photos. They're very nice. Is it possible to remake these molds in silicone by using the present molds as your template?

I just happen to see your photos. They're very nice. Is it possible to remake these molds in silicone by using the present molds as your template?
Somebody actually told me it is made in silicone, they are many kinds of silicone, some are not resistant to high temperatures.Then I found these rubber stamps,for soap making purpose.:p

thumb2_img_00931-588.jpg

thumb2_img_02831-586.jpg

I also use other rubber stamps, stamp the soap right after it is taken out of the mold.
thumb2_dsc075211-587.jpg

Last edited:
IF the polymer did transfer into the soap, i would imagine that it would be in such a small amount, that there would be no effect. Maybe let the soap sit a while, and see if you notice spots?

Back