very confusing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
I have calculated about 96 ounces of oils for my new 5# slab mold.
When I got my recipe together and put it through the soap calculator, it always comes up as 6 # and 8 # total.
So, should I reduce the amount of oils and disregard the oil calculator for a specific mold and go by the soap calc?
I don't want so much left over or oil waste. I used the basic oil cal on this site, the H x W x L x.4 etc....
Thank you

I have used that calculator and it works great.

A 5lb mold is approx 80oz.. so I would expect 96oz of oil would be too much. If you know the mold size then you won't need the calculator just use the amount of oil for the size mold.

When measuring the mold make sure you take your liner into consideration. I just started lining my log mold with the plastic board and ended up with excess soap but was able to put that in smaller molds for samples.

Yes, what are your mold measurements?

I don't understand how one recipe can come up as both 6 and 8 pounds?

L 13
H 1.75
W 10.5
and thanks again :)
and yes it has a silicone liner, didn't think of that one

When SOME mold makers refer to the capacity, they mean the oils only - for others they mean the total liquid (oils + water). In this case, assuming those are inside dimensions (inside the liner) it seems the mold maker was referring to the oils only.and you want to pour 1.75" deep? If it's a slab mold that's pretty thick- I'd suggest maybe 1.5" at the most.

those are INCHES I assume

so 13 X 1.5 X 10.5 = 204.75
204.75 x 0.4 = 81.6 ounces of oils ~ 5 pounds of oils

Back