wire soap cutter opinions please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsupthepoley

Reaction score
Been looking for a way to cut soaps better. My thin sharp knife does an okay job but I'm looking for a more professional finish but as I'm tight I'm not paying much:oops:

I found this on Aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-Making-Free-shipping/518344_32250836430.html

At $8.33 or £5.70 inc postage it seems a bargain. No ideas about the construction but I don't think I could get the bits and make one for that money.

Any opinions/anyone use one?

Thanks in advance.

My first impression is that it would be difficult to control the cutting wire from where the handle is unless your using a guide of some kind to help you steer the wire through the loaf. I don't think it would be much handier than your sharp thin knife.

Thanks boyago. I was planning on making a mould/holder for cutting to keep the wire from wandering.

I recently purchased a wire "cheese cutter" that looks SO much better than my previous cutting implement (pastry scraper in a guide). My cheese cutter was about double the cost of that wire cutter. I say you should give it a try.

I agree that it would be difficult still to control the cut. Even with a mitre box it would be a bit iffy. I have to cut my logs about a third off the log as my multi bar wire cutter my husband made me only cuts 11 bars. I use a pastry cutter in the wooden mitre box type and it's fine for that but not for cutting individual bars. They were still wonky. I would get an appropriate cutter or a cheese board/cutter personally. Some people can rock a knife but I wasn't one of them.

FYI I was at Bed Bath and Beyond when they had a sale on cheese cutters I think it was about $10. Their one on special was horrible for cutting soap. I'm sure the quality of cheese cutter varies wildly but avoid that one.

You guys are seriously awesome. I was looking for an inexpensive soap cutter and I never thought to buy a cheese cutter! I have a "cutter mold" with grooves cut in it but it doesn't work (my soap always comes out wonky) so I looked on amazon for some cheese cutters and one had a bunch of people saying they used it to cut soap! It was only $13.75 so I bought it. I hope it works! I'm excited!

Eta:
I bought one from Amazon (a cheese cutter) and it's awesome, made by Prodyne. I think it cost $12, and I have Prime.

I just realized I bought the same one! Hopefully I have a good results as you.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with it is the soap can slip - I took a piece of that foamy mesh shelf liner and cut a piece to fit, that holds the soap nicely so it doesn't wiggle.

OMG! You are a genius! Why didn't I think of that? I have a roll of that shelf liner and use it for all kinds of things moving but didn't think about it for my cutter.

I use the prodyne cutter as well. I really like it. Just remember you need to clean the wire between cuts to help prevent smearing.

Just to make sure, this is the one you all are talking about?

And the arm is long enough to cut through a loaf? Just want to make sure because the wire cheese slicer I picked up at the thrift store was too short

1429026813392.jpg

What about this on their site:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-Set-W-2-Cutting-Tools/518344_1922334706.html

It's worth it to invest a little money in your cutter. You don't have to go super duper fancy like a tank cutter, but you need to keep in mind that a) you want your bars to be nice looking and consistent and b) not hurting your hands. You could use your wire thing with a miter box, but by the time you buy that plus the miter box plus shipping, I think the item I posted will be about the same cost.

Or a Bud cutter from Etsy. those have gotten lots of good reviews on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make sure, this is the one you all are talking about?

And the arm is long enough to cut through a loaf? Just want to make sure because the wire cheese slicer I picked up at the thrift store was too short

That is the exact one I have. I have never had a problem with most loafs. The tall and skinny mold I have pushed the limit I had it on its side. But for normal sized loafs you should be good. The suggestion of the no slip liner is also good. I would use one to set the whole think on a piece and another on the cutting area up to the where the wire goes into the board.

Latest posts

Back