EO blend to prevent dogs from "marking"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibct1969

Reaction score
Recently, my two 3 year old male un neutered dogs (yeah, I know, bad idea- hopefully we can get this taken care of soon) have decided that it's fun to mark in five different areas of my house. :cry: Three of the spots are on the kitchen linoleum floor and the laminate wood floor in the living room, and the other two are upstairs on the carpet. I know how to clean the carpet and have disinfected the other spots.

I am hoping that someone has a good recipe and application using essential oils that dogs hate to keep them away from these spots until we can get them neutered. I have heard that cinnamon and eucalyptus can work, but I don't know how to apply them. I don't want to put anything on the floors directly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Just a quick Google and found this:

http://www.adoptapet.com/blog/stop-your-dogs-territorial-marking-inside/#.WKjlRYWcFPY

Its not about eo's, but how dogs are creatures of habit, and their need to have their scent in their territory.

As a former cat owner, I can tell you that the pet enzymes are essential in removing an animal's personal scent. If that scent isn't completely removed, the behavior will absolutely not change.

Uggh. I hate this problem. My intact female Abbysinian cat pees on anything taken from home. Cat pee us awful! She loves to pee on my girls coats and shoes. I really don't think there is any fix. Except to get them spayed/neutered. Once she is bred I will get her spayed.

She makes love to the vacuum! And she is horrible about spraying when in heat. Especially shoes. Cause she is marking.

Don't know about dogs, but hydrogen peroxide cuts the enzyme in cat pee that makes them want to remark. Quoted from another forum:

To memorialize the recipe for getting cat pee smell out of fabrics, including couches, carpets, pillows, mattresses, etc.

2 cups hydrogen peroxide
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp dishwashing soap (I use unscented Eucalan)
You may need to double or triple the recipe depending on how large the stain is.

Put the mix into a spray bottle and completely saturate the stain. Let it air dry. You may need to brush the surface a little to remove any baking soda residue. And voila!

The mix doesn’t stain or bleach the fabrics, and I’ve used it on high end yarns to great result, but if you’re nervous, do a test.

The great thing about this recipe is that it doesn’t mask the smell, it actually removes it, permanently - which is important if your kitty likes to “re-mark”. I’m told that it works because the hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria in the urine. As a bonus, it’s inexpensive.

I don't make the full mixture, when I need to I just douse the area with peroxide but my cat issues are more missing the box rather than actual marking

I certainly don't want to discourage you from having your animals neutered. There are a number of benefits to doing so, both regarding health and behavior. In my experience, neutering eliminates the hormonal impetus to start marking. It doesn't magically erase the behavior once a habit is formed :(. At that point, only constant supervision and mind-numbingly consistent training works.

Last edited:
Back