Problems with Soy Tarts/Melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pops1

Reaction score
I have been making my own soy tarts for ages but only for my own use so it really didn't matter what they looked like as long as they smelt good.Now l want to sell some at a Christmas market l have to step up my game and get them to look nice as well so l was wondering if you could please tell me a few of the causes for the problems l sometimes get.I use GW474 and since l have quite a bit l will be using that for the tarts.I make the tarts using the same basic temperatures, fragrance volume etc but some will still have these problems whilst others in the same batch will look wonderful. :?
Problems..
1..Frosting on top
2..occasional cracking on top
3. Dimple in wax on clamshells
Any help would be much appreciated

frosting is simply a soy issue. you can possibly prevent it in the short run by going through all sorts of gyrations with temps, but if you ship them, if your customers turn their heat down at night, etc then it'll probably reappear.

for the cracking, try cooling more slowly. if they are on a counter top the try putting them on a rack or even a folded towel to keep the heat from moving out of them and into the surface so quickly.

for dimpling, try pouring cooler. what temp do you pour at? (tho pouring hotter can promote that frosting you mentioned)

Thankyou for your reply,l am pouring at 60-65 degrees which is the advertised pouring temperature l will have a go at pouring cooler.We have hot humid weather at the moment so the air conditioning is working overtime l might have put them near one of the vents so that could be why they have cooled down too quickly.
I am so used to having the choice of redoing a project with M & P, is it possible with soy wax or does it change once you have already melted it?.

I have remelted soy and just added a touch more fragrance, I have to say that I cannot speak too highly of Ecosoy wax Pops for beautiful finishes I pour this wax at 130 f and have never had an issue with ugly looking tops. It is all I use nowadays as gives such a nice consistant result.

I won't get any done tonight it was my day at the charity shop and my feet are killing me so its feet up time but l will have another go tomorrow,I am afraid l am the one who is not consistent the poor wax is probably getting the blame for my misusing it. :lol:

It must have been me not the wax,Had a waxing night yesterday and have a row of perfect clamshells its amazing how difference things turn out when you watch tempertures etc. :) I am inclined to be in too much rush and l usually pay the price.

Back