Whipped Soap Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stumbled upon Nizzy's Whipped Soap page and I really love the look of whipped soaps so they are next on my list to try!

It seems like Nizzy recommends a fairly standard CP recipe with the caveat of at least 80% hard oils.

I took one of his suggested recipes and ran it through SoapCalc to get an idea of percentages:

Tallow 500g
Coconut 200
Olive 50g
Caustic Soda 108g
Water 281g

to:

Tallow 66%
Coconut Oil 27%
Olive Oil 7%

Superfat 5%
Lye Concentration 28% (he mentions that higher water will produce an airier bar)

Now I'd like to adjust the recipe to suit the oils I have access to. I don't have any palm or tallow, but I do have lard, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil and castor oil.

So do you think a recipe like this would work?

Lard 70%
Coconut Oil 20%
Avocado Oil 10%

Superfat 5%
Lye Concentration 28%

And now a few questions:

a.) Are there any issues with swapping the OO for AO? Will it have a particular effect on the airy-ness?

b.) Basically same question as above... what might happen if I throw in 3-5% castor oil? Yay or nay?

c.) What about additives? I have sugar, sodium lactate, salt... would any of these be a good idea? Maybe a bit of sugar to boost bubbles?

Thanks folks!

Quite honestly, don't like Nizzy's recipe - I use and like tallow, but it makes a very thin lather. Many people call it creamy, but I don't because tallow's lather has no volume. Olive oil gives no volume. When I use tallow I use it with lard, or at least shea butter.

Your lard recipe is much, much better! Mild, with richer, thicker lather. Yes to adding castor oil to support the bubbles.

As for whipping: I've never made whipped soap, but your recipe, and the additives you listed should be perfectly fine (never read anything on the forum that those additives problematic to whipped soap).

Honestly, I'd leave out the salt. You don't need it with your lard recipe.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, don't like Nizzy's recipe - I use and like tallow, but it makes a very thin lather. Many people call it creamy, but I don't because tallow's lather give no volume. Olive oil gives no volume.

Your recipe is much, much better! Mild, with richer, thicker lather. Yes to adding castor oil to support the bubbles.

As for whipping: I've never made whipped soap, but your recipe, and the additives you listed should be perfectly fine (never read anything on the forum that those additives problematic to whipped soap).

Honestly, I'd leave out the salt. You don't need it with your lard recipe.

Thank you!! Yes, I was thinking the salt/SL wouldn't add much to this type of bar.

I rarely use SL; but the recipe you posted is similar to my go to recipe. 20% co gives a respectful amount of initial large bubbles, then all that lard comes into play and creates the thick creamy "bubbles". SL might increase bubbles - but really the recipe gives a fulfilling lather all on its own. (I like to use
as few ingredients as possible.)

Back