Rules saddle soap or non cosmetic soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveOscar

Reaction score
I was asked by a friend to make a saddle soap to sell in their new boutique adventure. It would be a soap meant for the cleansing of leather and biothane products, probably small scale and mostly local to regional exposure. There is no retail location, it's online (mostly facebook right now, website will be up eventually) or small booth at horse shows.

My questions include:
Do I need to make a business and carry insurance to sell on this scale?
What are the FDA rules/laws for a soap/cleanser not meant for cosmetic/bath purposes?
If I don't follow FDA rules, what do I follow?

I'm not sure how to search for this information, so thank you in advance for answering. I tried using the search function and only came up with soap labeling.

Yes, you will need insurance and to check with you city/county/state to see what's required to have a business. Tax license etc. As for labeling if it's just soap I don't think it's an issue but I would check the FDA .

Throwing my 2 cents in to answer a question you didn't ask --

I would never ever use saddle soap on a non-leather webbing (nylon, coated nylon aka Biothane, etc.) Synthetic harness is best cleaned with warm soapy water and a soft rag. Synthetics don't need conditioning like leather and any oily/greasy preparation will only collect dust and make the webbing slick -- that includes saddle soap.

Latest posts

Back